Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Driver for GMA X3000 (HW T&L)

directcpp
Beginner
Hi.
please.
When Intel will be released drivers for GMA X3000 (HW T&L and vertex shader 2.0 or 3.0)?
in February?

0 Kudos
316 Replies
tccwin
Beginner
I play a game called Ragnarok Online which was made in 2003. It doesn't even have graphic in it and still it lags on the new drivers on vista.I am using driver version 7.14.10.1472. I also wanted to know if Intel gives vbios in the driver package why does it not implement in the bios of there own boards. If they cant then at least show how to add it in manually.
0 Kudos
deep_chatterje
Beginner
Has anyone tried "Assassin's creed"?Will it run on gma x3000?
0 Kudos
7oby
New Contributor II
7oby:

The fastest driver to date seems to be v15.4.4 final 7.14.10.1295. Actually the last one offering pure software T&L:
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=309411

It seems having a hardare T&L engine only gives you compatibility for games/demos that require hardware T&L. But the hardware in x3100 is so inferior, you can't play those anyway. Therfore going software by means of the CPU is way faster (see link above).

Related to this I just found some interesting information:
intel:

The X3000 series performs hardware TnL selectively based on the workload requirements. Some workloads like those based on DirectX8 or earlier versions, are well suited to the CPU-PSGP path in comparison to the DirectX9 pipeline in the X3000 series engine.

Source: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools-and-tips-for-debugging-issues-on-intel-3000-and-x3000-series-integrated-graphics

X3000 uses both Software and Hardware TnL. It's still surprising that Max Payne (DX 8 see top link) performs much faster on older drivers although in any case the software TnL pipeline should be used.

If you want to tweak the most performance out of your X3000 chipset or discover game crashes, you might want to force Software TnL and test whether this cures. This can be done with the free 3D-Analyze tool and also helps intel to debug drivers. See the second link above on how to do that.
0 Kudos
acidicx
Beginner
deep_chatterje:

Yeah.. maybe with 1 fps.. lol come on.
Assassin's Creed for PC is a complete straigt console port with no optimizations for PC whatsoever, and it builds on the UT3 engine as far as I know. I wasn't even able to run it really smooth on a GF8800GT with all high, so let alone an IGP... This is just too nextgen for the poorly made X3100.
0 Kudos
7oby
New Contributor II
7oby:
X3000 uses both Software and Hardware TnL. It's still surprising that Max Payne (DX 8 see top link) performs much faster on older drivers although in any case the software TnL pipeline should be used.

That is really funny! Intel actually has both pipelines for vertex processing installed (Software & Hardware). The default is hardware and guess what: The .inf file decides which games, benchmarks go software. Here's the list from the latest 15.9 driver:

HKR,, ~3DMark03.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~3DMark05.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~3DMark06.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 17
HKR,, ~age3.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~BF2.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~BF2142.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~cod2sp_s.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~cod2mp_s.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~dreamfall.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~farcry.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~FEAR.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~GRAW.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~gta_sa.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~H5_GAME.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~hl2.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~IW3SP.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~MAINAPP.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~medieval2.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~PCMark05.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~RelicCOH.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~Sam2.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~UT2004.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~WoW.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~XR_3DA.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~firefox.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~iexplore.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~mozilla.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~navigator.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~Opera.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ~seamonkey.exe, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Read about this stuff in this document:
http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/31888801.pdf

Without messing with the registry or using 3rd party tools this defines a very simple way of choosing between SW/HW vertex shading.

HW -> SW:
. Since HW vertex shading is the default, choose an application that you don't use (e.g. Opera.exe). Then rename the SampleGame.exe to Opera.exe and launch it.

SW -> HW:
. Your application is included in the above INF File. Rename SampleGame.exe to _SampleGame.exe and lauch it.

Does it make sense to switch to SW/HW?
Not really. Intel tested games with both settings and picks the better one for you already. Also according visual bugs or game crashes Intel will pick the better choice. However that's not what an enthusiast (*) wants to do. An enthusiast might have an incredibly overclocked fast Penryn CPU >= 4GHz. The faster the CPU the more performance is gained by using SW vertex shading.

(*) I do not see an enthusiast in contradiction to using integrated graphics chipsets. I'd like to see some stuff similar to nVidia CUDA for integrated graphics chipsets. Regarding H.264 decoding and such stuff that's already done. But I'd rather like to see some more: assisted H.264 Encoding, TrueCrypt/Bitlocker assisted AES256 en/decoding, ...
0 Kudos
toanmai84
Beginner
deep_chatterje:

I try my best but can't play this game.
Fisrt, with Windows Xp and driver 6.14.10.4935 : open game by shortcut (nothing display) out at begin.
Second, with Windows Vista Ultimale and driver 15.9.0.1472 : the game open and play intro, but end into is the crash.

Some other game driver 6.14.10.4935 work not good, when turn off V-shade game out when loading
I wish the final driver can play more game coming soon for all user of GMA X3000.
0 Kudos
tcdelaney
Beginner

14.34 is now available - it appears to fix the freeze/BSOD in Guild Wars, and I suspect it fixes WoW and EVE Online as well.

No apparent performance changes, and still hasn't given me any level of anti-aliasing :( Give me the option to do AA purely in software (e.g. on another thread)!

Interestingly, the "Information" button is gone in 14.34 - you'll have to roll back to get the EDID info, or use something like MonInfo.

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
tcdelaney:

Interestingly, the "Information" button is gone in 14.34 - you'll have to roll back to get the EDID info, or use something like MonInfo.

:( That is extremely craptacular. Hope it's an oversight and they put it back in.

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Actually, no worries: they just moved it. Instead of an "Information" button on the main page of the CUI, in the upper right hand corner of the tray next to the "?"is an "i", which provides the same screen as the Information buttonused to.

Whew! You had me going, there!

0 Kudos
vikasburva
Beginner
tell me can you play assesins greed on these drivers
0 Kudos
davidc1
Beginner
tcdelaney:

14.34 is now available - it appears to fix the freeze/BSOD in Guild Wars, and I suspect it fixes WoW and EVE Online as well.

No apparent performance changes, and still hasn't given me any level of anti-aliasing :( Give me the option to do AA purely in software (e.g. on another thread)!

No, I still freeze in WoW. Performance has been upped in Doom 3 and Quake 4 demo(don't know about full) about 40-50%, and WiC has less problems. Crysis has less rendering error.

But it still freezes in WoW :(.

0 Kudos
7oby
New Contributor II
I can not believe someone asked about Assassin's Creed given that topic has been discussed just four postings before. For those Non-Believers: Yesterday I installed Crysis just for curiosity. In Low Settings at 800 x 600 I had 1-2 fps and some minor visual bugs. A good benchmark list is available here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
and we've been posting that before, but here is's a benchmark of some games with the X3100.

Regarding WoW:
These issue's definitly are best put in the tech support forum of Blizzard:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=11110&sid=1
http://forums.wow-europe.com/board.html?forumId=11079&sid=1

These forums comprise guides on how to proceed when encountering crashes/BSOD/freezes. Certain graphical features can be disabled by configuring WoW and locate the error. As well as stack traces can be analyzed. Blizzard people have a contact person at the graphic department of GPU companies. This way bug reports related to driver issues are put into the right channel and handeled appropriately. Blizzard also provide workarounds for bugs in drivers, if that's possible.
0 Kudos
bikerfoo
Beginner

The information button is still there,, it's just been moved up next to the ? and X on the title bar. See the i button? Click it and you will be made happy!

0 Kudos
7oby
New Contributor II
DavidC1:
No, I still freeze in WoW.

I can see people switching from HW T&L to SW T&L. Especially for WoW and it even seems to improve performance:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3459078#post3459078

There were talking before about WC3, which is a different game. But the fix is meant for WoW and BSOD.
0 Kudos
atthegates
Beginner
7oby:
DavidC1:
No, I still freeze in WoW.

I can see people switching from HW T&L to SW T&L. Especially for WoW and it even seems to improve performance:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3459078#post3459078

There were talking before about WC3, which is a different game. But the fix is meant for WoW and BSOD.

The post in NRB is mine so I want to make something clear:

This is not a fix for WoW, this is a way to FORCE ANY application in SW, but there is no guarantee it will actually work. It's WoW in this case but it can be done with any application.

P.S. If the 'fix' is meant for something, it will be for WC3, it was my mistake putting the WoW executable in the post.
0 Kudos
7oby
New Contributor II
atthegates:
P.S. If the 'fix' is meant for something, it will be for WC3, it was my mistake putting the WoW executable in the post.

yeah I got that. WoW is rendered using Software anyway as can be seen here:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=52983#40332
0 Kudos
davidc1
Beginner

7oby:
atthegates:

yeah I got that. WoW is rendered using Software anyway as can be seen here:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=52983#40332

The 14.34 driver crashes much less than 14.33/14.33.1 drivers. I know its the driver because its only the driver change that caused the problem. 14.33.1 caused problem with both software and hardware. I can notice hardware has more crashes than software on the 14.34, but it doesn't mean software eliminates it. The 14.32.3 is ok.

0 Kudos
deep_chatterje
Beginner
I have just tested a game called FRONTLINES-The fuel of war..it is running fine in the 14.33.1 driver.But my problem is with call of duty 4.has anyone played it successfully?i keep getting the error "unrecoverable directx error" thoughI have the latest directx installed and it shows no problem on dxdiag.Any solution?
0 Kudos
tcdelaney
Beginner
OK - Rome Total WarBSODs during startup (immediately after the pre-loading movies) with 14.34. Works fine with 14.32.4, so I've rolled back.
0 Kudos
tourang
Beginner
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16168/eng/GFX_XP32_14.34.3.4957_PV_Intel.exe

Is It New Driver???????!!!!!!!!!

The system must contain one of the following Intel
Chipsets:

Intel Q43 Express Chipset
Intel Q45 Express Chipset
Intel G33 Express Chipset
Intel G35 Express Chipset
Intel G43 Express Chipset