Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Edison - Ethernet Over USB on Windows

Bob_Duffy

If you run into Serial or COM port conflicts/issues you may want to try to connect your Edison to your PC by way of Ethernet over USB.
To do this you need 

- Edison Board
- USB Data Cable
- Free USB port on your PC

Connect the Edison using a USB cable, connecting the micro USB port on second mini USB port from the edge.  This USB port also provides power to the Edison, thus you will be able to have a power and Ethernet over the same connection.  Once connected the Edison will power up  and connect to your PC. Give the Edison a moment to connect to the PC. You should get a notification that a drive was mounted called Edison.

Network Adapter Settings
From your version of Windows  view your Network Adapters (ie Network and Sharing > Change Adapter Settings) and look for a network adapter with the labelled RNDIS.  If found, select properties to configure it's IP address. From the list select IPV4 and then click Properties and then click the Properties Button. Change the IP information as follows
IP: 192.168.2.2
Mask:255.255.255.0

Drivers
If you do not see an adapter called RNDIS then you will need to install RNDIS drivers, then follow the Network Adapter Settings Above 

• Go to Device Manager and under other you should see an item for RNDIS
  • Right click and select update driver
  • Click Browse my computer for driver software then "Let me pick from a list of device driver in my computer"
  • Scroll the list to Networks Adapters and select Microsoft from the list on the left
  • Select the Network connection corresponding to the RNDIS gadget, install, then do the Adapter Settings above

If successful you can now ping your Edison board on address 192.168.2.15.   Using a terminal emulator you can SSH to Edison at address 192.168.2.15.  Intel XDK IOT Edition should automatically detect your Edison board and you can select that IP address to upload your programs.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daflippers
Beginner

Hi Bob,

That's neat.

David

0 Kudos
Bradford_N_Intel
Employee

Wow, that worked great!

For those of us on I.T. controlled networks, can this cause the company network to think I've bridged it to an outside net?  From what I've read on multihosting, I have the impression it's ok because it gives my laptop a private 192.168.x.x address rather than a 2nd globally-unique IP address.

0 Kudos
Maulik_G_Intel
Employee

Perfect.

I can't share internet to edison as it is restricted by IT on work laptop but SSH works perfectly fine.

Best way to connect to edison with single cable(only one USB not even power cable) even without wifi.

0 Kudos
Brian_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks.

I can ping my Edison on 192.168.2.2 now. SSHD is installed but doesn't appear to be running. How so I start the server? I have a wifi connection on another network but I want to SSH in via USB.

0 Kudos
Bob_Duffy

Brian B. (Intel) wrote:

Thanks.

I can ping my Edison on 192.168.2.2 now. SSHD is installed but doesn't appear to be running. How so I start the server? I have a wifi connection on another network but I want to SSH in via USB.

Brian be sure to Ping the address 192.168.2.15   THAT is the address of your Edison board and use that address in your SSH configuration.  THe address 192.168.2.2 should be the address of your USB/Ethernet adaptor on your PC

0 Kudos
Bob_Duffy

Also Brian to configure your Edison over SSH for WiFi
1. go to this document https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23147
2. Select Step 5 of the Document
3. At Step 2 of this Page:  Set Up SSH to talk to 192.168.2.15
4. Continue the rest of the steps

0 Kudos
Brian_B_Intel
Employee

Awesome! I can SSH to 192.168.2.15 and XDK works for me now also.

0 Kudos