Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Emotion Recognition has been deprecated

Dwight_G_
Beginner

Is there a technical reason for this? Or will there be a future library or plugin for this capability?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The release notes make reference to "Emotient"emotion detection being deprecated.  Since this seems to be a third-party component not made by Intel (similar to how augmented reality tracking was provided by Metaio), it's possible that a licencing agreement between Intel and Emotient existed and either Emotient or Intel decided not to continue with that licence. 

http://www.emotient.com/

Apple purchased Metaio at the end of May and Metaio ceased new licensing immediately, so it'll be interesting to see what happens once Intel's existing agreement with them expires.

The head-tilting gestures were also deprecated in R3, the previous SDK.

So yeah, the emotion-recognition deprecation could be down to licencing.  But if I remember right, the head gestures were deprecated simply because they didn't work as well as hoped and were taken out until a better solution could be developed.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

That's interesting Marty, thanks for sharing that. I wasn't aware of MetaIO being bought by Apple but wikipedia confirmed this.

I would love to see more details about those licenses, but I reckon they are all private deals.

0 Kudos
Robert_Oschler
Beginner

@Marty G and @Intel

Is the face expressions tech deprecated too?  I'm referring specifically to the overlay graphics in the C# Face Tracking sample for the F200.  In that sample, if you "check" the "Expressions" checkbox you see a vertical column of icons with numeric values next to them that change as you move your face and eyes.

Is that Expressions tech deprecated too?  Or is it till available to Devs?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

To my knowledge, the main removed features so far have been emotion detection, and detection of head tilting.  

If you are interested in detecting face landmark points like those in the face expression sample, this discussion thread on the forum may be of interest to you.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/realsense/topic/610755

0 Kudos