Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Error UTF-8 encoding on submit to Windows Store

Daniele_N_
Beginner

HI, I'm new on XDK and I have developed my first app that need to submit to windows store.

But in the app validation process this error is reported by microsoft. How can I solve this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

File encoding test
FAILED
UTF-8 file encoding
  • Error Found: The UTF-8 file encoding test detected the following errors:
    • File www\cordova_plugins.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\cordova-js-src\exec.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\cordova-js-src\platform.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\ionic\js\ionic-angular.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\ionic\js\ionic-angular.min.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

Are you using Windows 10 build? WIndows 10 build currently does not produce .appxupload files that are required for Windows store publishing. Currently it is generating .appx, you can use that for testing purpose but cannot use for distribution. That bug is being fixed. I'm guessing this issue is related to the .appx bundle. In any case I've reported this issue, so the Windows engineers will be looking at it.

0 Kudos
Daniele_N_
Beginner

No, this error appears using Windows 8 build.

0 Kudos
Jerroyd_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniele,

Can you open the files you mentioned and save them as UTF-8? That will fix your issue for you.

0 Kudos
emem_u_
Beginner
I am having the same problem, but as you can see, microsoft made mention of opening this files in visual studio and you said we should open and save with encoding option. Well first in your own case, where do we open this files? and most of this files are not visible e.g File www\cordova_plugins.js

File encoding test

FAILED
UTF-8 file encoding
  • Error Found: The UTF-8 file encoding test detected the following errors:
    • File www\cordova_plugins.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\assets\js\functions.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\assets\js\jquery-2.1.4.min.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\cordova-js-src\exec.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\cordova-js-src\platform.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\js\index.js is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\index.html is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\assets\css\main.css is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
    • File www\css\index.css is not properly UTF-8 encoded. Re-save the file as UTF-8 (including Byte Order Mark).
  • Impact if not fixed: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files must be encoded in UTF-8 form with a corresponding byte-order mark (BOM) in order to benefit from bytecode caching and to avoid other runtime error conditions.
  • How to fix: Open the affected file, and select "Save As..." option from the File menu in Visual Studio. Select the drop-down control next to the Save button and select "Save with Encoding..." option. From the Advanced save options dialog, choose the "Unicode (UTF-8 with signature)" option and click the OK button.
0 Kudos
Jerroyd_M_Intel
Employee

Hi emem u. and Daniele,

I was incorrect in my first post. These files are generated in our build systems and not on your computer. I need a little more information to distinguish how your builds are different than our users, since the majority of our users aren't experiencing this problem.

Which plugins are you using? Are you adding anything into the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file? Are you using UTF-8 characters in your settings, e.g. App name, App description?

Thanks,

--Jerroyd

0 Kudos
Daniele_N_
Beginner

My plugins used:

StatusBar (cordova-plugin-statusbar) - Device (cordova-plugin-device) - Splashscreen (cordova-plugin-splashscreen) - BarcodeScanner (phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner) - Camera (cordoba-plugin-camera).

I use the Intel XDK for Mac OS X version.

The app is generated by the Ionic UI framework and HTML5+Cordova. The app name is "ScanBarcodeSW" and the app description is "Barcode scanner per Windows 10.

Thanks.

Danar

0 Kudos
Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

We have identified the issue, a fix will be available soon.

0 Kudos
emem_u_
Beginner

SWATI S. (Intel) wrote:

We have identified the issue, a fix will be available soon.

That will be relieving SWATI I look forward to it, but when should we expect this fix? All the same thank you for IntelXDK development tool! I really appreciate you guys.

0 Kudos
Jerroyd_M_Intel
Employee

Hi emem u.,

The fix is live! Feel free to build your application and give it a go!

--Jerroyd

0 Kudos