Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Geing Memory Address of a file on Hard Disk

mahesh-valu
Beginner
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Files on a hard disk is stored at perticular locaion in memory.............

I want to know how i can know the address of a file , where it stored on hard disk
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dmitry_Vyukov
Valued Contributor I
Quoting Mahesh Valu
Files on a hard disk is stored at perticular locaion in memory.............

Files on a hard disk are NOT stored in memory. Files on a hard disk are stored on a hard disk.

0 Kudos
mahesh-valu
Beginner
i know that file are stored in one or more than one clusters and information about the clusters and files are stored in File Allocation Table.

I want to know how i can access that File Allocation Table...

please replay fast...............

i need this.............

thanks...............
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
You wrote "i know that file are stored in one or more than one clusters and information about the clusters and files are stored in File Allocation Table".

That is true of a hard disk with a FAT file system, but not for NTFS, ZFS, EXT-2, Reiser, etc.

Search on the Web for FAT file system documentation. On an MSDOS 2.11 floppy, for example, two copies of the FAT were kept in dedicated sectors.
0 Kudos
BradleyKuszmaul
Beginner
Perhaps you want to use mmap() to map a file into main memory.
-Bradley
0 Kudos
mahesh-valu
Beginner
thanks for replay

you have wrote mmap()

but i have no idea about mmap()

please tell me somwthing about mmap()

is this a programming language function? if yes then from which language it belongs and how to use it..

waiting for your replay

thanks again
0 Kudos
BradleyKuszmaul
Beginner
You can read about mmap() by googling it. It's a unix function, and if you use windows, you'll have to find the corresponding function that performs memory mapping.
0 Kudos
mahesh-valu
Beginner
thanks

i am finding my solution slowly using mmap() and i will reach the solution very soon

thanks again
0 Kudos
kiran__devi
Beginner

Files on the hard disk is storted in Particular location where you can access the file by using Mmap(). 

0 Kudos