Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

HAXM stops VirtualBox from working on OS X

benabik
Beginner
The HAXM kext appears to grab the VT-X extensions and refuses to release it when unloaded. This means that Virtualbox fails when attmempting to run a guest OS. Virtualbox stops working when HAXM is installed and does not work again until the extension is unloaded and the machine is rebooted.
While HAXM seems like an excellent solution to speed up Android emulation (although I have yet to acutally try it), I need Virtualbox more.
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Tao_W_Intel
Employee
Hi, Benabik,

I just tested my ICS in Virtualbox 4.1.8 with HAXM running with State as 4 Running.It workssmoothly.Not know what cause your virtualbox not running. Generallyspeaking Android Emulator is running on simulated ARM instruction set on x86-platform. As a result,the emulator isrunning slowly. Intel HAXM isfor Android SDK emulator and thus can speed up the emulatorquite a lot.Virtualbox is executedbased on x86 instruction set and much faster than Android SDK emulator.Below are some difference:

Virtual Box:

• Fast: X86 based ( same as iOS or WP7 emulator)
  • Only emulate User-mode

Google AVD in Google Android SDK:

• Slow- ARM based(ARM-eabi)
  • Full system QEMU: emulate whole guest system.
  • Additional Dalvik VM, need to run bytecodes for Android Apps
0 Kudos
Marco_Gasparetto
Beginner
Ciao, I can confirm the behavior described by benabik. If the HAXM is installed and loaded VirtualBox can't be used with the VT-X acceleration enabled. I had to uninstall the HAXM kext and reboot my OS in order to have VirtualBox to work again. Unloading the kext was not enough. MacBook Pro 13" i7, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3, Intel HAXM rev. 1
0 Kudos
Tao_W_Intel
Employee
Sorry, I missed "OS X" part:-). My test above is on Windows 7. I will check what solution we have for developers who want to use both virtualbox and Android SDK emulator on Mac OS.

Generally speaking, if you are using virtualbox, it is running natural x86 code, and you don't need HAXM.
0 Kudos
yimingb
Beginner
Tao,
Thank you for looking into it. I'm also in with benabik and marco in seeing this on Mac OS X (10.7.3) and HAXM. It works great for accelerating the Android x86 System Image from Intel, but disables Virtualbox (which I need for other things).
--Bryan
0 Kudos
Tao_W_Intel
Employee
Hi, All,

Google has compiled a comprehensive page onConfiguring Virtual Machine Acceleration: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/devices/emulator.html#accel-vm

Check it out. Here are from Google:
"
  • x86 AVD Only - You must use an AVD that is uses an x86 system image target. AVDs that use ARM-based system images cannot be accelerated using the emulator configurations described here.
  • Not Inside a VM - You cannot run a VM-accelerated emulator inside another virtual machine, such as a VirtualBox or VMWare-hosted virtual machine. You must run the emulator directly on your system hardware.
  • Other VM Drivers - If you are running another virtualization technology on your system such as VirtualBox or VMWare, you may need to unload the driver for that virtual machine hosting software before running an accelerated emulator.
  • OpenGL Graphics - Emulation of OpenGL ES graphics may not perform at the same level as an actual device."
0 Kudos
benabik
Beginner
I've had multiple VM programs installed for years, HAXM is the first that prevents any other from ever running. I'm not trying to run them at the same time, I just want to run VirtualBox with HAXM installed. The issue seems to be that the HAXM kext initializes the VT-X extensions and then never releases them, even if it's not in use or unloaded. Uninstalling and rebooting just to use a different virtual machine is not a good solution.
I was hoping that the emulator + HAXM would give me both speed and the ease of use of being integrated with the Eclipse ADT. But I'm not going to do that if I have to constantly install, uninstall, and reboot in order to use any other VM.
0 Kudos
Yunhong_J_Intel
Employee

Really thanks reporint the issue. We have root cause the reason and are investigatigthe best solution for it.

Thanks
--jyh

0 Kudos
paulsoucy
Beginner
I can confirm I have the same problem with my MacBook pro. I am hoping for a solution soon. Thanks.
0 Kudos
inemo
Beginner
I can also confirm this behavior, HAXM occupies the vt-x and VirtualBox (or any other virtualization app for that matter) therefore cannot use it and displays warnings. Win7 x64 here, latest sandy bridge
any updates on this?
0 Kudos
Hernan_A_Intel
Employee

Hi all. Thanks for all the reports. We have made changes that address this issue. A public release will be available soon via Android SDK Manager.

0 Kudos
domneuk
Beginner
Hey. It's now over a month ago that you've announced the new version.The only update i found over SDK Manager is a ICS x86 image, but no HAXM update.When will we get it? I badly need it!
Like inemo said, it not only regards to OSX. Win7 x64 too.
0 Kudos
yimingb
Beginner
I updated my HAXM last week and tested both an accelerated x86 ICS Emulator and Virtualbox running Ubuntu at the same time today. Thank you for the fix!
This is Virtualbox 4.1.18, HAXM r2, Emulator 4.0.3 Intel x86, Mac OS X 10.7.4
0 Kudos
Hernan_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the update yimingb. Good to know!

0 Kudos
Hernan_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Domeneuk, its already live. Check this summary:http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/07/10/haxm-r2-speed-up-android-emulation-and-enjoy-new-features/It has been promoted in our home page from a couple of weeks now.http://software.intel.com/en-us/android/(watch the blogs section).

0 Kudos
JLuna5
New Contributor I

Hi, I suggest you to use vmware software for emulate this.

0 Kudos
Agata_S_
Beginner

Does it still work for everyone? So now HAXM is at version 1.1.1 released in October 2014, I'm running Windows 8.1 and still have this issue. Virtual Box or Windows Phone emulators won't work until I reboot, install Hyper-V, reboot. And then to run HAXM (that is now mandatory for Android emulator), I need to uninstall Hyper-V again & reboot again. Which defeats the purpose of speeding things up, resets the state of the emulators and they then take forever to cold start after all this messing around and reconfiguring the whole operating system. Sigh.

0 Kudos
Tony_L_
Beginner

Looks like still issues for a lot of folks. 

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14294

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197915

3 4 years and still can't fix the bug..... wow.....

0 Kudos