Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

HUGE issues with v2673

Nick_d_
Beginner

Hi there,

I upgraded last night to v2673 and suddenly my app's radio buttons don't display at all, let alone when being clicked, and the back button in my headers is wrapping over 2 lines. I'm also having serious issues with app designer. I can't move between my app's pages to design anything.

PLEASE advise how to roll back to v2611 while you guys sort this out. Urgently please :)

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Elroy_A_Intel
Employee

I have escalated your issue to the Intel XDK App Designer team. What framework are you using?

0 Kudos
Nick_d_
Beginner

Thanks so much!!

I have no idea what version I'm using, how do I check?

All I know is, my project ran fine on the previous version and now when I create a new page using the designer then these issues occur. But I got it working by creating new pages in the code.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Nick,

If you see inside the index.html usually under script tag you can see which framework you are using.

You cannot rollback to 2611.

Try to kill your running version of the XDK and fresh restart it.

0 Kudos
Nick_d_
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the super-quick response!

I even uninstalled XDK and reinstalled it and the same thing happened. 

Looks like I'm using AF 2.1, but there are tags that state supporting 3.0 - not sure what that means.

I think the issue is with XDK and not AppFramework as it all worked on the previous XDK. I see that there are changes with XDK and how it handles AF, like when creating a new page and inserting a header, it now enters the header under the page div, where it used to group all the headers together up top.

0 Kudos
Brian_W_Intel
Employee

Hey Nick,

I'll leave a quick comment, because I know what your issue is, and I'll leave another comment once I have a fix/suggestion for you. The problem is in the latest release we upgraded App Framework from 2.1 to 3. Each time you create a new page, App Designer treats it like a new project and by selecting "App Framework" as your framework you get the latest version of App Framework. App Framework 2 is very different from App Framework 3 in a number of ways, the largest of these being page structure.

For example, your header dropping in a different place is due to the new structure of the application. You'll notice your App Framework 2.1 pages will have things working one way, while your App Framework 3 pages behave an entirely different way. App Framework 3 also changes pages differently (through some of its own JS), which would explain why you're having trouble linking between AF2 and AF3 pages.

So your issue is more with the XDK than App Framework. App Framework is behaving as it should, it's just having versioning disagreements. 

Now this doesn't excuse why all of it doesn't work for you, because it should. At the moment, your only real option is to redo your AF2 pages to play nicely with your new AF3 pages. I'm working to see if there's a workaround to roll it back to AF2.1 once you've created the page and I'll post here with those results if I can get anything working.

Brian

0 Kudos
Nick_d_
Beginner

Hey Brian,

Thanks, that provides quite a bit of clatiry! Looking forward to you posting the workaround.

Is there anyway you can create a script that will update my project automatically to AF 3.0? I'm really not keen on rebuilding my project.

Nick

0 Kudos
Ad
New Contributor III

I started this week a new project and thought to be clever and used the XDK Designer for prototyping the new App (all our other projects are written in Ionics or custom code, so I never used the designer for a real app) Unfortunately the XDK was updated to 2673 and after 2 days fighting with no working pages, subpages, sidemenus and different framework, I was frustrated and stopped.

Now I read that in the new release of the XDK the App Framework is updated to 3 and it looks like not working, grrrr ;-)
Afterwards, I installed XDK v2611 again, and started the new project from scratch. Now almost every is working and I'm happy again ;-)

Tip: Maybe it's a good idea to write more inside information in de release notes, and that we see what's changed and also an option to switch back to an previous version of the XDK IDE (save a lot of time searching old backups)

0 Kudos
Brian_W_Intel
Employee

Nick d. wrote:

Hey Brian,

Thanks, that provides quite a bit of clatiry! Looking forward to you posting the workaround.

Is there anyway you can create a script that will update my project automatically to AF 3.0? I'm really not keen on rebuilding my project.

Nick

You can replace the following lines:

<script type="application/javascript" src="app_framework/2.1/appframework.js"></script>
<script type="application/javascript" src="app_framework/2.1/appframework.ui.js" data-ver="1"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="app_framework/2.1/css/af.ui.min.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="app_framework/2.1/css/icons.min.css">

with

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="app_framework/3.0/af.ui.css" data-ver="2">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="app_framework/3.0/icons.min.css">

<script type="application/javascript" src="app_framework/3.0/appframework.ui.min.js"></script>

They won't all be bundled together like that, but just replace the css with css and js with js. I'd recommend creating a backup of your page before doing all of this, in case you want to return to your project being AF2 once the fix it out. For a note, if you take a new page and replace the AF3 css/js with AF2 css/js, it should revert the .html file to an AF2 .html file, although you'll have to take a look at the structure of your <body> after you convert it, because AF2 apps are structured differently than AF3.

We have a fix that we're testing, and looking to get it out ASAP.

0 Kudos
Nick_d_
Beginner

Well that just messed up my app. Do you have the app frameword 3.0 css docs that I need to include in my project? It's now giving unstyled html as there is no AF3 css doc to reference.

Hoping your fix comes out quickly :)

0 Kudos
Brian_W_Intel
Employee

Nick d. wrote:

Well that just messed up my app. Do you have the app frameword 3.0 css docs that I need to include in my project? It's now giving unstyled html as there is no AF3 css doc to reference.

Hoping your fix comes out quickly :)

Is this in an existing project Nick? If you create a NEW project using AF3, you only have access to AF3 files. But if you have a project that is supposed to be AF2 (i.e. has www/app_framework/2.1/ folder), then you can roll it back. If you've created a new project, you could try copying over your 2.1 folder from another project and then trying to convert the project, but there's no guarantee that will work.

The AF3 css is the one I alluded too above:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="app_framework/3.0/af.ui.css" data-ver="2">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="app_framework/3.0/icons.min.css">

af.ui.css if the AF3 css.

We're creating the hotfix, should be pushed out soon. Still working out other unrelated bugs that need to be fixed as well.

0 Kudos
Nick_d_
Beginner

It's an existing project, created in AF2.1. Will wait for your fix to come out before doing anything. Not keen on loading other folders and it still not working or messing with the app.

0 Kudos
SithLord
New Contributor I

Sounds like the latest XDK may be breaking AF2.1, good thing i waited to upgrade because i'm on AF2.2.

If you simply replace the AF2.x scripts with AF3.x your app will not work because 3.x is a completely different animal. 

To go from 2.x to 3.x you are basically looking at a non-trivial rewrite. I learned not to depend on the app designer from the very start so if designer support goes away for 2.x then that is no great loss for me.

0 Kudos
Brian_W_Intel
Employee

Hey everyone.

The fix has been pushed and should be available to everyone within 24 hours. You can check the info here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/600184#comment-1849324

Thanks for your patience!

0 Kudos