Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Have software on multiple computers

Mike_C_
Beginner

I’m looking to install Intel Fortran on 3 different computers with the same license.   After reading the forums this possible if the license is used by the person that registers it. I also read that if the software is not registered it is possible to use it on multiple computers but can only be open on one computer at a time. Is all of this true? Also this is for a single seat license. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kenneth_C_Intel
Employee

All software requires a valid license to run this is done during the install. You are allowed to install your software on what ever machine you use in the case of a single user license. The first part of your statement "After reading the forums this possible if the license is used by the person that registers it. ", is correct you are allowed to have it installed on three separate machines ( you are the only person allowed to use the software ). The second piece of your statement, I also read that if the software is not registered it is possible to use it on multiple computers but can only be open on one computer at a time" , is incorrect as all software requires a valid license to run, registration is part of the install process.

Let me know if that answers your questions 

Regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
Adam_S_7
Beginner

I am wondering if somebody can answer my simple question!

I have the Intel parallel_studio_xe_2016_update1 compiler which I am using on my Fedora machine under a student license (I am using it for C++). I am getting a new computer (a desktop), and I'd like to use this software on it, also. However, I would also like to keep the compiler on my laptop and use it there, as well.

Short summary: I have two computers and would like to compile on both of them. Is this possible? How can I do it? Do I just install it on the other computer like I did the first? I'm a bit afraid to do it because I don't want the first computer to start rejecting the license! I'm not sure if the student version is just a single user license.

After reading the Install manual that came with the software, it looks like I can, I just want to make sure since I am not sure how to do it! I want to make sure nothing goes wrong, since when I login, I don't have options for multiple machines...

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Hi Adam,

As Ken indicated above, you are entitled to install the software on up to 3 systems, for your personal use, as long as you run it on one machine at the time.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Adam_S_7
Beginner

Hi Noga, thanks for the response, but I still need some clarification.

I can install on multiple computers, but I can only run it on one machine at a time: This might be a silly question, but does this mean that  a) I can't physically compile on two machines at once, or b) that every time I want to use the other computer I need to log on to my intel and switch where the license sits?

Thanks!

adam

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

There is no login involved so once the software is installed you are set. Technically you are not supposed to use it on more than one system at the time. In reality you can compile on two machines at once.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Adam_S_7
Beginner

Yes, it does. Thank you very much for the help!

-adam

0 Kudos