Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to reduce the size of apps build in intel XDK

Farhan_A_
Beginner

I develop my first app in intel xdk which is a very basic and simple app but the size of the .apk file is 6Mb and after installation the size of the app is 15Mb+ on the mobile phone..can anyone help me in this.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The size depends on which build target you used. The standard Android build with Gold option enabled will generate about 5-7MB file. The Crosswalk for Android build will give a minimum of about 15MB. The Cordova for Android build is much smaller.

The footprint you're describing is not terribly large, this is very typical of many apps. I would not expect it to grow dramatically beyond this size as you add more to your app. There is a minimum amount of space and memory required to support the underlying structure.

0 Kudos
Alfred_B_
Beginner

Paul Fischer (Intel) wrote:

The size depends on which build target you used. The standard Android build with Gold option enabled will generate about 5-7MB file. The Crosswalk for Android build will give a minimum of about 15MB. The Cordova for Android build is much smaller.

The footprint you're describing is not terribly large, this is very typical of many apps. I would not expect it to grow dramatically beyond this size as you add more to your app. There is a minimum amount of space and memory required to support the underlying structure.

@Paul   "The standard Android build with Gold option enabled will generate about 5-7MB file

Please where is this option located? I have a similar issue... My 2.2mb HTML5 app became a 18MB apk.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Alfred -- I'm guessing you built with Crosswalk. You can't decrease the size of the Crosswalk build, it will be a minimum of 15-18MB in size because it includes a complete web browser to use instead of the built-in webview on the device. Despite the size, this is the preferred solution for Android, because the built-in webviews on the majority of Android devices are very bad and inconsistent.

The "gold option" only applies to the older legacy builds. I do not recommend you invest time and effort in the legacy build system, it will be disappearing sometime in 2015 and cannot take advantage of the numerous Cordova plugins that are available for the Cordova and Crosswalk build systems.

0 Kudos
John_H_6
Beginner

I can understand apps growing under crosswalk (or anything as the underlying foundation becomes more robust).  But I just rebuilt 3 (Android) apps, each about 400k, under the latest version of the XDK.  One was strictly computational - about 20 inputs, just a little crunching, the other two were primarily in (constant) communication with a remote server.  Building without Crosswalk they grew to 1.83M.  Not unreasonable.  Build using Crosswalk (laughingly called 'Optimize with Crosswalk') they all grew to over 46M.  That is absurd.

0 Kudos
jitendra_p_
Beginner

reduce the size of apps build in intel XDK

i have create my apk 31 mb size what is process reduce apk size.

jitendra patidar

jitendra.patidar07@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I
Optmise the size of your images and uncheck the Crosswalk option.
0 Kudos
PARMINDER_S_
Beginner

Hello ,Everyone 

recently i develop a project and it includes upto 15 images total, no single image showing when anybody download this app,

i already update it but the issue still remains same.

please provide me solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos