Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

I can't add xxhdpi and xxxhdpi icons to Android app

Olga_V_
Beginner

Hi! 

I want to add xxhdpi and xxxhdpi icons to Android app. I've added them into addition.xml:

<platform name="android">
   <!--
        ldpi    : 36x36 px
        mdpi    : 48x48 px
        hdpi    : 72x72 px
        xhdpi   : 96x96 px
        xxhdpi  : 144x144 px
        xxxhdpi : 192x192 px-->

<icon platform="android" src="package-assets/192x192.png" density="xxxhdpi" width="192" height="192"/>
    <icon platform="android" src="package-assets/144x144.png" density="xxhdpi" width="144" height="144"/>
</platform>

Also I've tried to add the icons right to the root of the addition.xml:

<icon platform="android" src="package-assets/192x192.png" density="xxxhdpi" width="192" height="192"/>
<icon platform="android" src="package-assets/144x144.png" density="xxhdpi" width="144" height="144"/>

In the both ways I don't see the icons in /res/ folder of the .apk.

How should I add icons to my app?

Thank you ind advance

0 Kudos
14 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Which CLI version are you specifying in your build? Did you try building both with and without "optimize for Crosswalk"?

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner

Hi Paul!

I use CLI 5.4.1 with Crosswalk embedded 16, Minimum Android API 14, Target Android API 23

Olga

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner

The Intel XDK Project (without www folder)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Olga -- I just did a build and the files are present in the "res" folder. Here's what I did to test:

• downloaded your project
  • added a www/index.html file to the project
  • removed references in <project-name>.xdk file to iOS certificates
  • removed references in <project-name>.xdk file to splash screen images (not provided with your project)
  • built the project with the build settings from your project (CLI 5.4.1, Crosswalk 16, etc.)

Here's a list of the icon files and their properties that were found inside the arm APK file:

~/Downloads/forum-703532.cordova.crosswalk.201611234015/arm/res$ find . -name icon.png
./drawable-hdpi-v4/icon.png
./drawable-ldpi-v4/icon.png
./drawable-mdpi-v4/icon.png
./drawable-xhdpi-v4/icon.png
./drawable-xxhdpi-v4/icon.png
./drawable-xxxhdpi-v4/icon.png
~/Downloads/forum-703532.cordova.crosswalk.201611234015/arm/res$ find . -name icon.png -exec file {} \;
./drawable-hdpi-v4/icon.png: PNG image data, 72 x 72, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
./drawable-ldpi-v4/icon.png: PNG image data, 36 x 36, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
./drawable-mdpi-v4/icon.png: PNG image data, 48 x 48, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
./drawable-xhdpi-v4/icon.png: PNG image data, 96 x 96, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
./drawable-xxhdpi-v4/icon.png: PNG image data, 144 x 144, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
./drawable-xxxhdpi-v4/icon.png: PNG image data, 192 x 192, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
~/Downloads/forum-703532.cordova.crosswalk.201611234015/arm/res$ 

Here's a screenshot of the contents of the arm APK file, expanded (it's a ZIP file in disguise):

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 11.27.58 AM_censored.jpg

Inspecting the x86 APK file I see the same as shown for the arm APK file.

And I've attached a copy of the icon.png image that was located in that "drawable-xxxhdpi-v4" folder, so you can inspect that icon.png image and confirm that it is the xxxhdpi image.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The only thing I can think of, that might be impacting your builds are:

• Are you using the latest version of the XDK? (3641)
  • The splash screen images might be causing a problem.

The way the splash screen images were specified in the <project-name>.xdk file was very weird and looked to me like their would be a built failure. If you're not seeing a build failure, I don't know why, but I strong suspect they have something to do with the problem.

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner
The project was created with previous version of the XXI and the splash screen images are located in www folder Now I use Intel XDK 3641
0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner
I've just built the project again and there's just 4 icon.png file in res folder.
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Olga -- move the splash screen images to the package-assets folder, I think they have something to do with the problem.

Do this using the following process:

• copy the splash screen images into your package-assets folder
  • "delete" them from your project using the "Launch Icons and Splash Screens" UI (hover over the image and push the trash can icon)
  • close the XDK
  • delete those images from your www folder
  • reopen the XDK
  • use the "Launch Icons and Splash Screens" UI to add them back into your project
0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner

That's what I did but it didn't help :(

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Please create a new project, using the blank cordova project template and copy your files from the old into the new. You'll have to reconfigure your build settings, add your plugins using the plugin manager, etc. by hand. Don't delete the old one, leave it there for reference to make sure you get all of your settings copied over.

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner

Hi!

May be I have problem with my account? Because I've created new project from blank cordova template, added the icons, build the project and didn't get the high resolution icons in the build. Then I've removed Intel XDK completele from my computer, installed again and then created new Intel XDK project from blank Cordova template, added the icons, build the project and again get just 4 icons in the build.

The project and the build are attached (the extension of the build is canged to .zip)

Olga

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner

I've downloaded and installed Intel XDK on my new computer, created new Intel XDK account and build the project - I didn't get tje hight resolution icons. I've chenged the png files to another pictures with the same size - it didn't help. I'm trying to play with xml properties: <icon platform="android" src="package-assets/Sash-192.png" width="192" height="192"/> or <icon platform="android" src="package-assets/Sash-192.png" density="xxxhdpi"/> instead of <icon platform="android" src="package-assets/Sash-192.png" density="xxxhdpi" width="192" height="192"/>. 

What do I miss?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Create a new blank project and copy your source files into that new project. Copy your icon and splash screen files into the package-assets folder (create the folder if it does not exist). Configure your build settings in the new project so they match the old project. I think there is something wrong with your <project-name>.xdk file, so do NOT copy the *.xdk or *.xdke files into your new project.

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner
Hi Paul! I've did it ten times at least I think. Nothing helps
0 Kudos