Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

IEGD - 945GC - 15.7KHz Hsync - SVideo Extended Desktop - and more....

lukeyson
Beginner
I have an application whereby I need 640x480, 15.7kHz Horizontal, 60Hz Interlaced Vertical - ie RGB NTSC style video output - via the VGA port. The Application is a CarPC solution, with a requirement to use the VGA interface to output directly to the factory display in the vehicle. Using IEGD 9.0.2 I was able to do a proof of concept on a 945GME based Fujitsu Minibook with complete success.

So to develop this further we were hoping to use the D945GCLF2 Mini-itx mainboard and now have a protoype solution in our Lab. I have had success in generating the correct video output on this mainboard. However, it turns out that there are a number of other hurdles to using this system.

(1) IEGD 9.0.2 does not actually support the 945GC chipset family! The driver I created was for a 945G device. Does anyone know if support for this chipset in IEGD is coming? Most of the mini-itx boards I see with low-power Atom CPU's are 945GC based (Intel, AOpen, Jetway etc). I was caught off guard on that one thinking that the 945GC was a part of the '945G Chipset Family' - and it's not until I got to the fine detail (ie running the IEGD software) that I found out the support situation. Perhaps a crafty gotcha on the part of Intel! It's a pity really, and a bit perplexing at the same time, because this CPU/Chipset solution is just about ideal for embedded applications.

(2) Even using the GMA driver, the 945GC S-Video appears to only output in Clone mode. Is it possible at all to get S-Video to output in 'Extended Desktop' mode? This is a dual question - would the 945GC chipset hardware actually support this even if a driver was available? And when is IEGD support for the 945GC coming - if ever - so that we could activate it if supported? (And why is extended desktop mode not already available in the GMA driver if it is possible?) The reason for this is that in a CarPC application it is a legal requirement to have Video output ONLY go to screens that the driver cannot see - such as rear headrest and passenger sunvisor screens - and not the primary display. It is illegal to do otherwise. And thus the 945GC would be rendered useless as a Video-Playback device in a CarPC application....which is part of the appeal and competitive advantage of a CarPC, to negate the cost of a custom install DVD playback system.

(3) The custom RGB resolution I require, using the windows driver, is obviously only available after windows has booted. However , the IEGD documentation discusses the creation of custom BIOS resolutions by using custom DTD modes with the 0x120, 0x121 etc option. But the documentation only refers to 'the First Custom DTD', or 'the Second Custom DTD'. How is this DTD order determined? Is it determined via the order of creation? Or is it the order they are listed in the DTD drop-down menu? I've not been game to try a 945G or 945GME bios in a 945GC chipset for obvious reasons - but would like to if ever the 945GC is supported in the IEGD software! Is this method the right way of generating the resolution I want from the moment the system boots?

Luke
0 Kudos
3 Replies
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - lukeyson
I have an application whereby I need 640x480, 15.7kHz Horizontal, 60Hz Interlaced Vertical - ie RGB NTSC style video output - via the VGA port. The Application is a CarPC solution, with a requirement to use the VGA interface to output directly to the factory display in the vehicle. Using IEGD 9.0.2 I was able to do a proof of concept on a 945GME based Fujitsu Minibook with complete success.

So to develop this further we were hoping to use the D945GCLF2 Mini-itx mainboard and now have a protoype solution in our Lab. I have had success in generating the correct video output on this mainboard. However, it turns out that there are a number of other hurdles to using this system.

(1) IEGD 9.0.2 does not actually support the 945GC chipset family! The driver I created was for a 945G device. Does anyone know if support for this chipset in IEGD is coming? Most of the mini-itx boards I see with low-power Atom CPU's are 945GC based (Intel, AOpen, Jetway etc). I was caught off guard on that one thinking that the 945GC was a part of the '945G Chipset Family' - and it's not until I got to the fine detail (ie running the IEGD software) that I found out the support situation. Perhaps a crafty gotcha on the part of Intel! It's a pity really, and a bit perplexing at the same time, because this CPU/Chipset solution is just about ideal for embedded applications.

(2) Even using the GMA driver, the 945GC S-Video appears to only output in Clone mode. Is it possible at all to get S-Video to output in 'Extended Desktop' mode? This is a dual question - would the 945GC chipset hardware actually support this even if a driver was available? And when is IEGD support for the 945GC coming - if ever - so that we could activate it if supported? (And why is extended desktop mode not already available in the GMA driver if it is possible?) The reason for this is that in a CarPC application it is a legal requirement to have Video output ONLY go to screens that the driver cannot see - such as rear headrest and passenger sunvisor screens - and not the primary display. It is illegal to do otherwise. And thus the 945GC would be rendered useless as a Video-Playback device in a CarPC application....which is part of the appeal and competitive advantage of a CarPC, to negate the cost of a custom install DVD playback system.

(3) The custom RGB resolution I require, using the windows driver, is obviously only available after windows has booted. However , the IEGD documentation discusses the creation of custom BIOS resolutions by using custom DTD modes with the 0x120, 0x121 etc option. But the documentation only refers to 'the First Custom DTD', or 'the Second Custom DTD'. How is this DTD order determined? Is it determined via the order of creation? Or is it the order they are listed in the DTD drop-down menu? I've not been game to try a 945G or 945GME bios in a 945GC chipset for obvious reasons - but would like to if ever the 945GC is supported in the IEGD software! Is this method the right way of generating the resolution I want from the moment the system boots?

Luke

this link will show you how to add the modes
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=56423

as far as the video output to extended desktop thats a tricky one
in the device manager does it show two graphics devices or one?
0 Kudos
lukeyson
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

this link will show you how to add the modes
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=56423

as far as the video output to extended desktop thats a tricky one
in the device manager does it show two graphics devices or one?

I have no problem with the Video Mode. It's the custom Bios and other features that I am after.

Using the GMA driver (and not the IEGD) the S-Video is available, but only as a 'Clone'. I've not been able to succssfully create an IEGD driver using the 945G or 945GME options in IEGD that gave me both a custom VGA resolution AND S-Video as an extended display - it seems they just aren't quite compatible enough to trigger these features on the 945GC.

Luke
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - lukeyson

I have no problem with the Video Mode. It's the custom Bios and other features that I am after.

Using the GMA driver (and not the IEGD) the S-Video is available, but only as a 'Clone'. I've not been able to succssfully create an IEGD driver using the 945G or 945GME options in IEGD that gave me both a custom VGA resolution AND S-Video as an extended display - it seems they just aren't quite compatible enough to trigger these features on the 945GC.

Luke

thats why i asked you to look in the device manager and see how many devices is shows for your part
if there is 2 devices you should be able to have 2 pipes which will enable extended desktop
but a bigger problem you will have is that if you are using xp and you try to play a movie on the second pipe it probably wont play to good
vista should though
0 Kudos