Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel 82599 10 Gigabit SRIOV : Identifying physical port/function for the virtual function assigned to the VM on guest

SBhat29
Beginner

Hi,

These are the 10 G NIC cards on the host machine:

lspci | grep 10-G

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

One Physical Function  per Intel® 82599 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller NIC port and 63 Virtual Functions assigned to each physical function.

With DPDK  SRIOV  the application during initilailization does pci probe and get the internal pci address of the Virtual function (assigned to the guest).

rte_eal_init 

rte_pci_probe()

rte_eth_dev_count();

Based on the  virtual function pci address or other means I want to obtain the physical NIC port its assigned to on the host machine.
Is there a way to determine the physical function/physical port based on the virtual function or  commands  or  DPDK api's ?

Also can these 10G NIC cards/ports  be UP at the same time and my Virtual Machine scan the Vf's from both 10 G NIC cards at the same time.
Or only one of those 10G NIC cards can be UP at a time?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shalini

0 Kudos
0 Replies