Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 PostXPiry right before XE 2016 ?

Matous_S_
Beginner

Hello,

i ordered a postxpiry upgrade of my parallel studio xe 2013 to xe 2015 right now and have seen today that xe 2016 will be launched today. 

Will i be able to update/upgrade my xe2015 version with the new features of 2016 or is it necessary to cancel my ordering (if possible) and order the 2016 again? 

Thanks for quick reply. 

Regards M. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Matous,

Were you talking about this license (s/n: CBL6-********)?  Its support expiration date is 5/11/2015.  So, you won't be able to install XE 2016 with this license.  You may purchase a brand new license or another post-expiry date renewal.  I think 2 post-expiry renewals cost less than a brand new license.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Matous_S_
Beginner

Hi Feilong,

yes, i'm talking about the mentioned license. I'm a bit confused now - I originally bought a Parallel Studio XE 2013 license. Now I wanted to update to XE 2015 in order to be "more up2date" in terms of features and bugfixes etc. However, I ordered last week and did not know that XE 2016 is coming this week.

Now I have several questions:

1. Will the post-expiry at least give me the new features from XE 2015?

2. Could you please tell me whether the 2 post-expiry updates you mentioned will, e.g., cover at least new bug fixes (false positives) within Inspector?

Thanks again for help!

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Matous,

Post-expiry renewal extend support for 1 year from your current support expiration date.  Your support expiration date is 5/11/2015.  That means you can download and install products released earlier than that date.  If you need bug fixes or features in a product update released late than that date, you  will have to purchase another post-expiry renewal, which will extend your support to 5/11/2016.  Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Matous_S_
Beginner

Thanks again.

I would need still further clarification: currently I understand your answer in the following way:

* with the post-expiry I can download/install all updates till my (new) expiration date.

* however, I will not be able to install new release such as Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 or XE 2016 etc., i.e., a license is always bound to a "major" product release such as "* XE 2013".

Could please confirm my thoughts or correct them if I'm still misunderstanding you?

Thank you and regards,

Matous S.

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

License is not bound to a specified major version.  You may install 2015, 2016 and further major versions, as long as your support is current.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Matous_S_
Beginner

So, to close the confusion, with respect to your comment:

"Were you talking about this license (s/n: CBL6-********)?  Its support expiration date is 5/11/2015.  So, you won't be able to install XE 2016 with this license"

this means, I get a new license when ordering "post-expiry" with which I will be able to install XE 2016 finally? Is that correct now?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Yes.  You need to order another post-expiry renewal.

0 Kudos