Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel® Parallel Studio XE Academic Licence under Continuous Integration

D_M_1
Beginner

I would like to know if it is possible to use my Academic Licence for Parallel Studio XE for Fortran and C/C++ compilers (Linux, macOS and Windows) in hosted, distributed continuous integration services (e.g. Travis CI).

You already offer free tools for open source projects under the open source initiative (link: https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software/opensourcecontributor).

This, however, is limited to Linux and only valid for open source projects (i.e. in public repositories); I will ultimately release my projects in public repositories but, whilst I actively work on these, I tend to keep these repositories private.

Am I allowed to use the licences I obtained under the “Free Tools for Student” programme when launching my tests in hosted, distributed continuous integration services? If not, could you please let me know if there is a different type of licence you could provide for such cases?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jennifer_D_Intel

Hello,

As long as you are not being compensated for your work and abide by the terms of the noncommercial use license in the EULA, then you're fine to use your Cluster Edition license. 

Regards,

Jennifer

0 Kudos
D_M_1
Beginner

Thank you, can you pleasy clarify that the same applies to:

• Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran macOS
  • Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for C/C++ macOS

With regard to the actual activation process: the compiler will query your servers for activation every time I commit my code. This will eventually result in hundreds, if not, thousands of activations and deactivations over the period I will be actively developing my software. Will this be ok?

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

Activation happens during the installation.  So if you are installing each time you start a VM, it will consume one of the three (according to the EULA) hardware addresses available for the license for each new hardware address.  If you consistently use the same hardware address, it will use an existing activation.  Uninstalling does not release the activation - this must be done manually through the registration center.

0 Kudos