Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel® XDK Hot-Fix Update 2893

Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

Hello Intel® XDK Users,

We just released a hot-fix update for the Intel XDK.  The updated version number is 2893.  This fix was only applied to the Intel XDK and does not apply to the Intel XDK IoT Edition or Intel XDK Early Access.

This update was made to fix the following issues from the original December release (version 2807):

• This Intel XDK update helps users who are impacted by Kaspersky and Norton falsely flagging one of the included files (namely binding.node) in the Intel XDK v2807 installer as Trojan.   We have rebuilt the source code, producing a different timestamp, for the Intel XDK installer file and scanned this update against major Anti-virus software vendors including Norton and Kaspersky.   The scan showed that this updated version is clean.

Intel has reported this problem to Kaspersky and Norton, working with them to resolve this false detection problem. Updates on the resolution progress will be posted on the Intel XDK user forum.

For detailed information on the release, please see the release notes here:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/release-notes-information-intel-xdkOur automatic updater will notify existing Intel XDK users when the update is available within the Intel XDK. The updates will be released to all users within 24 hours. If you would like the update sooner, you can download it from xdk.intel.com  and install.

Please let us know if you see any issues.

-- The Intel XDK Team

p.s. For a quick summary of the new features in the current release (version 2807 and version 2893), please see this article > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/604658

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Amartya_M_
Beginner

Thanks its working great

0 Kudos
Brian_C_4
Beginner

While XDK is now running, Kaspersky is still throwing up a popup alert on the screen over the binding.node file.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thank you for the update Brian, our engineering group has also discovered this new alert from Kapersky. We are working with the anti-virus vendors to get to the bottom of why the XDK is being incorrectly flagged. In the meantime, please try the EA release, so far we are not getting flagged there.

0 Kudos
Brian_C_4
Beginner

Thanks Paul, glad to know it's being worked on. As I'm sure you can imagine, temporarily using EA is not ideal since I believe makes changes to the crosswalk setup that are not backwards compatible (which means a bit of hassle when we're ready to build a new update of our app).

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Thank you for the update Brian, our engineering group has also discovered this new alert from Kapersky. We are working with the anti-virus vendors to get to the bottom of why the XDK is being incorrectly flagged. In the meantime, please try the EA release, so far we are not getting flagged there.

0 Kudos
Gunda_K_
Beginner

My Kaspersky also produces the binding.node alert when I tried to install XDK again some minutes ago.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

This problem has, unfortunately, recurred with the hot-fix release. We are working with the anti-virus vendors for a resolution. This is a high-priority issue that we are taking seriously. See this post for additional information > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/607054

0 Kudos
Marcellu_S_
Beginner

I've still got the same problem (Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.czzg) on file binding.node for release 2893.

0 Kudos
Bernd_S_1
Beginner

Installed hotfix. Still Kaspersky Total Security deletes binding.node

0 Kudos
Marcellu_S_
Beginner

The way I am doing:

- I have to deactivate the antivirus to install XDK; activate the antivirus after the installation;

- When I am using XDK, sometimes the real-time scan catches the 'Trojan' and mark it to heal after rebooting;

- If I have to reboot, I have to uninstall XDK, deactivate the antivurs, install XDK, and activate the antivirus after that.

Next time I'll try to discover how to add an exception for this file, and if I succeed, I'll tell you guys.

0 Kudos
Gunda_K_
Beginner

Marcellu S. wrote:

The way I am doing:

- I have to deactivate the antivirus to install XDK; activate the antivirus after the installation;

- When I am using XDK, sometimes the real-time scan catches the 'Trojan' and mark it to heal after rebooting;

- If I have to reboot, I have to uninstall XDK, deactivate the antivurs, install XDK, and activate the antivirus after that.

Next time I'll try to discover how to add an exception for this file, and if I succeed, I'll tell you guys.

Thank you for this workaround. But this takes time, and I really expect Intel AND Kaspersky to work seriously on this problem. At the moment I think about dumping Kaspersky and search for another virus scanner.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We are working seriously on the problem, with multiple anti-virus vendors, it is a high-priority issue. The EA release does not get flagged, you can download that and use it as a workaround.

0 Kudos
Wolfface73
Beginner

Long time Kaspesrsky paying customer. I have been in contact with Kaspersky since January 2016 regarding this issue. I followed their repetitive instructions about excluding the file from being blocked/deleted, and it didnt work. Their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing. I am not sure who Intel is contacting at Kaspersky, as no one i emailed/contacted there even knows what Intel XDK is. I gave them a link to this post, no one even bothered to read this post from their side.

It was frustrating. layers and layers of generic customer service. and they keep telling me to contact their chat service if i have a question regarding the issue. Their chat was less than impressive and not accurate. I even asked them to post internally to see if there is any ward about the issue. Nothing, nada, zero. They keep asking me for the file when i clearly explained my situation and that I un-installed Kaspersky. if they are working together, why do they need the file from me? See, a clear proof that their right hand doesn't know what their left is doing.

On top of that, they have the arrogance to think that i will stop my work, my lively hood, and keep Kaspersky turned-on until one of their god engineers has the time to look into the issue.

It is like people go to work at kaspersky just for the pay check. No real company pride or care. 

Anyways, I uninstalled Kaspersky and using windows defender + MalwareBytes Anti Exploit Free. Now, i can meet my deadlines and continue developing without any headaches. I requested refund from kaspersky.

I apologize for my rant. I am not usually abraisive, just very very frustrated. But stopping my work because of their slow customer service is not an option for me. It is unacceptable for a paid product.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thanks for the feedback, I've forwarded it to the engineer in charge of getting that exclusion in place at Kapersky and with the other anti-virus vendors.

---- update ----

We did manage to get Kapersky to white-list the XDK, so the problem should no longer be an issue with that vendor. The engineer in charge double-checked the white-list and it is still in force.

0 Kudos