Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK Retirement

Soman__Manoj
Beginner
Hi, Recently got update of Intel XDK and got to know about retirement of Intel XDK cloud based build system and have been advised to migrate to Cordova CLI build or Adobe Phone gap cloud based build system.. Now, as understand Cordova CLI build can be achieved locally and hence thought of moving to same but as per doc, one would need Cordova CLI, Node js as well as Android Studio or Android Tools for same.. Need some clarity on this.. With Intel XDK, we had IDE for code updates and same would be used for targeting all 3 platforms (Android, Window and iOS) with Intel XDK cloud based build system available which would also include Google Chrome runtime also in APKs... But in new scheme of things if? 1) Cordova CLI would be local build system to build your app and would Google Chrome runtime be included in APKs? 2) Which IDE to use for Code updates? can we use visual studio or visual studio code or simply text editor for code updates (html, javascripts)? 3) Would existing HTML5 code be used as-is in new scheme of things? because as I understand Android Studio is used for native app development 4) Would same HTML5 code be used to target all 3 platform? as somewhere there was mention of different activities needed to target each platform separately? Many Thanks, Manoj
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rodrigo_M_1
New Contributor II

Hi Soman,

The Intel XDK is retiring only the cloud building system, so you can still using the Intel XDK as you usually use it to code your project !

In my case, I choose to use the cordova CLI for local build and I'm building apps for iOS platform, so in this case I had to purchase a Mac computer because iOS builds requires the XCode (that only apply if you need to build for iOS platform!).

I was able to follow the Intel docummentation provided in here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/build-xdk-app-with-phonegap-cordova-cli  and in here for cordova CLI Setup: http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/platforms/ios/index.html

If I need to build also for Android, I could take the advantage and install the Android Studio on my Mac and take the advantage to build for both on the same computer !

If your case is build apps only for Android, and you want to use cordova CLI, you can still using your Windows / Linux computer to install cordova CLI and go ahead with the build !

Note that the Intel XDK will still provide a option to create a "Package" of your application that's works for Cordoca CLI or Phonegap after cloud building system retirement.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Soman, Monaj wrote:

1) Cordova CLI would be local build system to build your app and would Google Chrome runtime be included in APKs?

I assume you mean "can I still build with Crosswalk?" The answer is "yes, you can still build with Crosswalk." The Crosswalk library is designed to be included as a standard Cordova plugin. When you export your project using the "build Cordova package" tool, if you have selected Crosswalk it will automatically include the tags necessary to include Crosswalk in your PhoneGap Build or Cordova CLI build instructions.

Soman, Monaj wrote:

2) Which IDE to use for Code updates? can we use visual studio or visual studio code or simply text editor for code updates (html, javascripts)?

Only the cloud-based build system was announced as being retired. The rest of the XDK will continue to work, including the editor. However, you can use any code editor you like with the XDK, you are not required to use the built-in Brackets editor. I use Sublime Text as my editor to edit source when I am using the XDK. BTW, the editor used in the XDK is the freely available Brackets editor.

Soman, Monaj wrote:

3) Would existing HTML5 code be used as-is in new scheme of things? because as I understand Android Studio is used for native app development

If you install and use Cordova CLI to build your apps to do not actually use Android Studio directly. Rather Cordova CLI automatically uses the Android Studio build tools to perform the build. The XDK creates a standard Cordova CLI app, there is no translation or conversion of your HTML5 code into Java or any other sort of native code, it's mostly a "packaging" process that encapsulates your app into a native code wrapper.

Soman, Monaj wrote:

4) Would same HTML5 code be used to target all 3 platform? as somewhere there was mention of different activities needed to target each platform separately?

The code is the same, it's the build process that varies as a function of the target. That is why the cloud-based build system is so convenient, it hides that complexity. This is what the PhoneGap Build system does, it also hides the various build platforms.

0 Kudos
Soman__Manoj
Beginner
Thanks Rodrigo
0 Kudos
Soman__Manoj
Beginner
Thanks Paul...Will check on that...
0 Kudos