Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK too heavy for my system?

re_s_
Beginner

Hi,
i run Intel XDK latest version at a macbook with 2.5ghz and 8gb memory.
i am making an app with 30 pages and after 2 minutes of usage, Intel XDK becomes very slow. i must restart it every 5 minutes otherwise i am unable to work.

any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Copy/paste from the Code Editor is the way I would proceed.

Or, if it is easier then do this:

• plan out how many files you want to end up with.  You have 30 pages now, so maybe 6 files of 5 pages apiece? Or two files with 15 pages?  Think about what makes the most sense for your app
  • Duplicate your index.html file that many times.  Renaming each duplicate intelligently (e.g.  products.html, customers.html, ...)
  • Open each html file and _remove_ the pages you don't want, keeping the ones you do. 

Then link them.  Which, depending upon the framework, you may have to do by hand.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dale_S_Intel
Employee

Are you using App Designer?  Or just writing by hand?

Dale

0 Kudos
re_s_
Beginner

Thanks for the response.
I am using App Designer

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Can you upload your project?   

The pages you make in App Designer are virtual pages, meaning they are not separate file, but are just undisplayed <div> s.  This means that when your app starts, all those pages are present.  Now, for a normal modest mobile app, that may not be a very big burden. But, regardless, 30 is a lot. You may need to break them up into separate files that are linked together, or load the content dynamically as needed.

Chris

0 Kudos
re_s_
Beginner

Thanks a lot Chris if it is not too much hassle for you, please explain this:
"You may need to break them up into separate files that are linked together, or load the content dynamically as needed"

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Re: Chris is assuming you have all 30 pages defined in a single file using <div> to define each page. If that is the case, they will all load at the same time which is memory intensive (and can cause lag when loading). If you split them into separate files that you load as necessary, things may work better. If you zip your project and send to Chris in a private message (the "Send Author A Message" link), he can take a look and see what you did.

0 Kudos
re_s_
Beginner

Thank you. my app contains 30 pages linked each other. How can i seperate them without loosing functionality?

Thanks a lot in advance

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

30 separate pages, each created in a separate file? What do you mean by "linked to each other"?

0 Kudos
re_s_
Beginner

i have made a 30 pages app. every page has a link to another page.
for instance page number one has links to page number 12, 18,20,25,30 etc...
how can i seperate them as you advised?

thanks

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Copy/paste from the Code Editor is the way I would proceed.

Or, if it is easier then do this:

• plan out how many files you want to end up with.  You have 30 pages now, so maybe 6 files of 5 pages apiece? Or two files with 15 pages?  Think about what makes the most sense for your app
  • Duplicate your index.html file that many times.  Renaming each duplicate intelligently (e.g.  products.html, customers.html, ...)
  • Open each html file and _remove_ the pages you don't want, keeping the ones you do. 

Then link them.  Which, depending upon the framework, you may have to do by hand.

0 Kudos
re_s_
Beginner

Thanks so much for your detailed answer.

0 Kudos