Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel i915 chipset and Vista Aero - HUGE problem

michael_becker_de
Hi yall :-)

this is my first post here, and Im afraid that the cause for it isnt very pretty. In fact, its downright annoying.

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop w/ an Intel i915GM chipset and the GMA 900 Graphics Accelerator.

Ive also purchased Windows Vista Home Premium the day it came out, installed it, it ran fine (except for a lack of audio output, which was rectified by a driver provided by Sony).

Vista runs very well on this computer (Pentium M 740, 1 GB RAM), and I could be nothing but pleased with it......

.....until I found out that not only Aero isnt working (I had expected this), but Windows Movie Maker and DVD Maker arent working, either.

When I try to open these apps, theres merely a notification saying that my graphics hardware wasnt capable of handlng the transitions and effects of these apps, therefore i couldnt use them... period.

I then did some research on the internet, and I found out that Intel refuses to provide any WDDM drivers for their i915GM chipsets, because they were conceived before the specifications for Vista were finalized.
Hence, the i915 chipset was incapable of running Aero. And Windows Maker. And DVD Maker.

Ha ha, guys.

Seriously, if the GMA 950 can handle Aero, GMA 900 could, too.

Heck, Im running NFSU2 and GTA San Andreas on this thing @ high framerates, albeit at reduced detail settings.

Vista Media Center is running without any hickups, and yes, that thing also has nice little graphics effects and transitions.

Beta testers of Vista are reporting that until around September, the GMA 900 could handle Vista w/ Aero interface, and then, starting with Vista Build 5728, it suddenly couldnt anymore.

All this is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. I, just like many other i915/Vista users, have a hard time believing that the GMA 900 couldnt handle Aero. The official specifications of the GMA 900 certainly indicate that it *should* be able to handle Aero... easily:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/software/betriebssysteme/windows/2006/september/vista_dvd_movie_maker_directx_9/

(German language site)

Im utterly disappointed that Intel is leaving their i915 users hanging highndry.

Come on, guys, make it happen and do release those darn WDDM drivers for the i915 chipset as well.

My laptop is a great product and works great, thanks to the Intel components in it.

But i also know that i wont be buying an all new computer just to run Vista properly (heck, my Vaio is only 5 months old!!), and I also know that Intel is going to lose a lot of good will on my side of the fence if they dont come up with a solution to his 915/Aero mess.

Thanks for letting me rant, and please.... do something about this.

From browsing around the internet, Im not the only one dismayed about this, and Vista has just come out two days ago.

How many other i915 users will be "happy" to see Vista run on their otherwise perfectly capable computers.... without Aero?

Its in Intels best own interest to provide a solution.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
23 Replies
dennishor
Beginner
I same to you is not to use the DVD maker and Movie maker than areo thoughAngry smiley [:@]
0 Kudos
dennishor
Beginner

All brother:

Don't not use this Windows Movie Maker version, this version is low than in vista 3.0 Movie Maker version, and after install was delete your Movie Maker version 3.0!

And version 2.6 is give lower device chipset for use!example:no 3D chipset, no dir X 9

Intel i915 chipset is ready dir X 9,is not low level of hardware

0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee
OK, guys, here's the deal.

There's "Vista Ready" and "Vista Premium Capable". Microsoft decides which is which:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/capable.mspx

The 915 graphics chip is "Vista Ready". It runs Vista just fine. It is NOT "Vista Premium Ready". From the above Microsoft site:

Some Windows Vista Capable PCs have been designated Premium Ready. These PCs will provide an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience. Features available in specific premium editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, may require additional hardware.

Confusing? Yes. Deceptive? Well, some people think so, and have brought a lawsuit against Microsoft for this exact issue:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/04/04/microsoft-accused-of-deceptive-marketing-bait-and-switch-tactics-over-vista

In fact, since that lawsuit, Microsoft has gone back and made a change to that paragraph I quoted. Read about what it used to say:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/04/09/microsoft-redefines-vista-capable

So.

To everyone who bought a laptop with Intel 915 graphics, because it was labelled "Vista Ready", you were NOT deceived. It IS "Vista Ready". It runs Vista just fine.

But.

If you somehow thought that "Vista Ready" meant that you could run the cool 3D tab flipper, and the fancy "Aero Glass" high end 3D interface, you were wrong.

I'm sorry you didn't understand what you were getting when you bought a system with an old, low end, legacy graphics chip. I'm sorry the Microsoft marketing material and logo labels confused you. I really am. I wish none of us had to deal with this.

Is Intel ever going to release a "beta"/unofficial driver for 915 graphics?

I'm not the "official" person to answer this, but I'd say "no".

Why?

Because it's an old, low end, "legacy" part. There aren't any people at Intel dedicated to writing new drivers for this part. Intel laid off 10% of its workforce last year - 10,000 people. Ten thousand. The rest of us that are left are trying to get all the work done. Obviously, we can't do the same amount of work. Some things have to get dropped. Decisions have to be made about what projects are going to happen, and which ones are going to get cut. Like I said, I'm not the "official" person to say, but my guess is that there just aren't people sitting around, collecting a paycheck, that could be thrown at writing an unofficial "beta" driver. Wouldn't it cool i f it happened? Of course. Would Intel like to do it if we had the resources? Certainly! But we live in the same reality that you do, and we have to make our budget balance just like you do. We can't always do everything that we'd like to do.

I hope this serves as a "final word" on this discussion. If you have more questions, please do continue to discuss it here, email me, whatever. But I'm hiding anything or holding anything back - I've laid it all out on the line, here, and I hope it helps you guys understand.

And if I could buy everyone a drink to make you feel better, or a brand new "Vista Premium Ready" computer to run the Vista eye-candy, I would. But there's that whole "reality" thing...
0 Kudos