Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel x86 image for android 4.4

Kishor_D_
New Contributor I

Hi,

Is Intel Atom x86 for android 4.4 (Kitkat) released? I recently updated my SDK, I can locate image for ARM but not for Intel.  Won't it come with SDK like other earlier images? Or should I download it from somewhere else?

Thanks

Kishor.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
9 Replies
Harsh
Beginner

This architecture is known popularly as Medfield. No 4.4 image is officially available for android from ANY vendor. However one developer has some succes with it (Hazou)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2563960

0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee

As JudLup pointed out, the 4.4 image for Intel Atom processors is available, either through the SDK manager or by manual download.

In the SDK manager, check under “Android 4.4 (API 19)”, then select "Intel x86 Atom System Image".

Let us know if you have any issues getting the image. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

Josh Bancroft (Intel) wrote:

As JudLup pointed out, the 4.4 image for Intel Atom processors is available, either through the SDK manager or by manual download.

In the SDK manager, check under “Android 4.4 (API 19)”, then select "Intel x86 Atom System Image".

Let us know if you have any issues getting the image. Thanks!

The system image you are referring to can be used for testing applications. Can we get full sources of a image currently running in any third party hardware (eg Droid i) to analyze and modify ?

0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee

You can find Intel system images on our Open Source site, 01.org:

https://01.org/android-ia/

It looks like the latest published version there is 4.2.2, but you can inquire with the maintainers/community about any specific questions you have.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

Third party hardware vendors or OEMs usually customize the Android system. So you need to ask the respective OEM if you need the sources for a particular device. 

The sources on 01.org are not completely the same than the OEMs are basing their development on. So if you are interested in general x86 Android system development the source 01.org is the place to go, but if you are interested in a particular device please ask the OEM for the sources. 

We will soon launch a program to support system/middleware development for Android. There is a coming soon page for this: http://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/mobile-development-platform-for-android . If you subscribe the page you will get notified as soon as it launches. 

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
CLi37
Beginner

Intel Android NDK 4.4 also be upgraded? I updated Android 4.4 from Eclipse IDE with Intel support as well. It It seems worked for my app without modification on Intel platform. I only tested this on simulator.

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

I don't understand what do you mean with "Intel Android NDK 4.4". Can you explain it further?

In the Android SDK Manager you can download a Android 4.4.2 Intel x86 System Image to test your application.

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos