Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Is floating license checked out on Visual Studio Start?

andreas_buhr
Beginner
Hello Everyone,

we consider using Intel Parallel Studio for our Development Department. Since every developer would use Parallel Studio only once in a while, some floating licenses would be sufficient.
But all developers use Visual Studio all the time. So my question: are the floating licenses only checked out when actually using Parallel Studio? Or are they checked out on Visual Studio start (as it was the case with VTune Visual Studio integration - that made VTune Visual Studio integration unusable for us)?

Thanks a lot in advance,
best regards,

Andreas Buhr
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - andreas.buhr
Hello Everyone,

we consider using Intel Parallel Studio for our Development Department. Since every developer would use Parallel Studio only once in a while, some floating licenses would be sufficient.
But all developers use Visual Studio all the time. So my question: are the floating licenses only checked out when actually using Parallel Studio? Or are they checked out on Visual Studio start (as it was the case with VTune Visual Studio integration - that made VTune Visual Studio integration unusable for us)?

Thanks a lot in advance,
best regards,

Andreas Buhr

Hello Andreas,

I can't guess regarding the licensing issue at the moment. It might be my colleagues would provide the right answer.

I just wanted to ask a question, if you don't mind. What prevents you from persistent using of Intel Parallel Studio during development? You can leverage from the number of tools within IPS which are necessary for parallel programming. Are you considering some alternatives?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Floating licenses are not available for Intel Parallel Studio. It is a per seat license.

Of course, if you have access to Parallel Amplifier, for example, because of your existing, floating VTune analyzer license, that will work. I believe the license is checked out when the results are displayed. Any time a "display" window is opened, the license is checked out.

BTW, the VTune analyzer license checkout issue you mention was fixed quite some time ago, as well. It only checks out the license when a result window is open.
0 Kudos
andreas_buhr
Beginner

Hello Vladimir,

thanks a lot for your reply.
The reason that we don't need Parallel Studio all the time lies in the kind of software we create. We create very complicated algorithms. Most of the time our engineers spend on the derivation of the algorithms. Parallelization is only a little (but still very important) task in the development process.

MrAnderson, thanks for your reply, especially the hint with the VTune Visual Studio integration.
It would be great to have floating licenses for Parallel Studio.

best regards,
Andreas
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - andreas.buhr

The reason that we don't need Parallel Studio all the time lies in the kind of software we create. We create very complicated algorithms. Most of the time our engineers spend on the derivation of the algorithms. Parallelization is only a little (but still very important) task in the development process.

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the explanation. I believe you still can leverage from the diversity of tools contained in the Parallel Studio:

Amplifier - Easy and comprehensive analysis of performance of algorithms implementation (not necessarily parallel).

Inspector - Checking for bugs connected to improper memory operations. Checking for correctness of multithreaded part of the project.

Composer - Performance gain from using optimizing compiler in the end-product.

It'll take a little while to watch the getting stared tutorials on the product page:http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-home/ Perhaps, you will find it useful.

0 Kudos
qnphan
Beginner
Floating licenses are not available for Intel Parallel Studio. It is a per seat license.

Of course, if you have access to Parallel Amplifier, for example, because of your existing, floating VTune analyzer license, that will work. I believe the license is checked out when the results are displayed. Any time a "display" window is opened, the license is checked out.

BTW, the VTune analyzer license checkout issue you mention was fixed quite some time ago, as well. It only checks out the license when a result window is open.

Just read this post and disappointed to learn that no floating license for IPS!
We have more than a dozen of engineers want to use the IPS. Just like other software, is there a plan to provide floating license for this tool? if so, an estimated time will help planning.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - qnphan

Just read this post and disappointed to learn that no floating license for IPS!
We have more than a dozen of engineers want to use the IPS. Just like other software, is there a plan to provide floating license for this tool? if so, an estimated time will help planning.

Hi:

If your concern is related to cost, please contact your reseller or Intel sales contact and I have been assured that they can work out a volume discount that will make you happy. :-) At this time, however, there are no plans to support floating licenses in Parallel Studio.

0 Kudos
andreas_buhr
Beginner

Dear Mr. Anderson,

you stated that it is possible to use Intel Parallel Amplifier with a VTune floating license.
Is this configuration officially supported? Will that be possible in the future?
I.e. should we buy VTune floating licenses if we want to use Intel Parallel Amplifier?

And is the situation similar for Intel Parallel Inspector?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Andreas Buhr
0 Kudos
Richard_K_Intel
Employee

Dear Mr. Buhr,

Our rational for making Intel Parallel Amplifier accessible with a VTune Performance Analyzer license is discussed here. In short, VTune analyzer customers will continue tohave access to the features providedby today's Parallel Amplifier product.We do plan to add today's capabilities of Parallel Amplifier to a future version of VTune analyzer. At that time, you won't need to use Parallel Amplifer to access the features because they will be in VTune analyzer.

I hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Dick Kaiser, Product Marketing Manager
VTune Performance Analyzer and Intel Parallel Amplifier

0 Kudos
andreas_buhr1
Beginner

Dear Mr. Kaiser,

thanks a lot, that was the information I needed to plan our purchases.

Best regards,

Andreas Buhr

0 Kudos