Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Knights Landing Software Stack installation troubles

ketancmaheshwari
Beginner

Intel's new Knight's Landing processor has builtin support for hosting OS and is no more a pluggable card MIC as in the traditional systems. Now when I try to install the MPSS one of the step is to detect MIC with the following command:

$ sudo micctrl --initdefaults
I get:

[Warning] No Mic cards found or specified on command line

However, in this new architecture of Intel xeon phi there is no Mic expected since the main processor itself is Mic.

So, my question is, how to tell the system that there is no Mic or how to workaround this situation in order to correctly install MPSS. I am using CentOS 7 and MPSS version 3.7.1. The CPU specs are Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) CPU 7210 @ 1.30GHz model 87.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The Knights Landing is a Host CPU (at this time), and therefore does not require (use) mpss.

Effectively this is a native mode only system. Your programs would not use offload programming. And you do not ssh to it from the same system.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

Intel MPSS is software for host + Intel Xeon Phi x100 coprocessors (formerly codenamed Knights Corner).

It does not apply to systems with Intel Xeon Phi x200 processor formerly codenamed Knights Landing.

The latter are standalone systems booting standard Linux distributions, backward compatible with Intel Xeon processors.

0 Kudos
Loc_N_Intel
Employee

There webpage for Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) Processor is shown here https://software.intel.com/en-us/xeon-phi/x200-processor . Also the Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) Processor software is posted here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/xeon-phi-software

0 Kudos
SuperHT
Beginner

Does KNL x200 have unofficial support for Ubuntu 16.04, similar to what we had for x100 (KNC / MPSS) ? Is there a way to compile xppsl_1.5.0 on Ubuntu.

Thank You.

0 Kudos