Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Long delay in license checkout

Adam_H_3
Beginner

I have 3 FlexLM servers for our 2 floating licenses.

While license checkouts work, there is a long delay before the checkout, which makes compilation very slow:

time icc -V
Checkout succeeded: Comp-CL/<...>
        License file: 28518@<internal IP>
        License Server: 28518@<internal IP>
Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.3.210 Build 20160415
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

real    0m25.153s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.007s

I saw that people have had similar problems e.g. https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/606143?page=1 but didn't see a resolution.

There was some indication this might be to do with IPv6 but I've disabled that on the master license server and that hasn't helped.

This is with CentOS 7.2 on both servers and client.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jennifer_D_Intel

Hi Adam,

Yes, there is an issue that was introduced in CentOS 7.2 involving IPv6 which causes a 25 second delay in checkout time, described here.  The workaround is to enable IPv6 if possible, and/or remove the hostname from /etc/nsswitch.conf as described in bugzilla, for example:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

hosts:      files dns myhostname

To:

hosts:      files dns

If you are able to do that, please let me know if it resolves the issue.  I will make sure our FAQ is updated with this information.

Regards,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Adam_H_3
Beginner

Hi Jennifer,

Many thanks for the prompt and very useful reply.

I can confirm that applying the workaround fixes this for now (there are complications with our local IPv6, which means I can't straightforwardly enable it at the moment).

Cheers,

Adam

0 Kudos