Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Multiple cameras

Thomas_5207
New Contributor I

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to attach more than one camera (R200) to the same machine and be able to access streams from both of them? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

RealSense SDK currently did not support to use multiple cameras at the same time. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Derzu_O_
Beginner

Hi,

Will support for multiple camera's in the near future be an option?

Best regards,

Derzu.

0 Kudos
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

We will review all those feature request and will implement those features according to the priority. Thanks!

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

That project does not use the standard RealSense SDK though.

Probably if you treat them as normal cameras it might be possible to use more than one camera, but this scenario is not covered in the SDK, so it would be a custom development.

0 Kudos
martin_a_
Beginner

with the current sdk it is possible to read out multiple cameras, however you have to be careful to not interleave the camera (internal) infrared projector, since they interfere and produce artifacts in the deep image.

Regards M.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

That only applies to F200 and SR300 cameras.

R200 is a stereo camera, so you can point multiple cameras into the same area with no issues.

0 Kudos
Oliver_H_
Beginner

I'm looking to use 2x R200 cameras and stumbled across this thread.

I can see an old comment (David Lu (Intel)) saying it's not possible yet and newer one (martin a) saying it now is "possible to read out multiple cameras" with the current SDK.
samontab writes "R200 is a stereo camera" so it shouldn't get cross-talk from IR signals... however on http://click.intel.com/intel-realsense-developer-kit-r200.html is clearly lists it as "CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT".

Can anyone clarify if two R200 cameras can be used simultaneously with the latest SDK, specifically in Unity5?

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Yes, multiple R200 cameras looking at the same area will not interfere between each other.

This is because the IR light projected is just light, it does not contain a specific pattern to be read. The R200 even works without this laser, it is just an extra thing for added texture on uniform surfaces. Since it uses stereo, it does not matter that more light is projected there. Whatever is projected, it will appear differently in both cameras, so you will be able to get depth as long as it is properly exposed.

So, yes, it has a laser, and IR light is being emitted. But not an specific pattern is projected. You could even use your own IR lamp and it would still work.

0 Kudos