Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

My experience (and problems) with the camera (i7-3820)

Carles_V_
Beginner

Hello !

I received my camera just one week before the DEMO deadline (it was crazy).

Anyway, I tested the camera on my development computer with an i7-3820 with windows 7 and a Fresco Logic xHCI UDB3.

The camera worked very well as a webcam (skype, for example). But I can't make it work with the demo examples, and there was no way to install the Creative drivers. 

I installed Windows 8.1 on the same computer. Then I could install the drivers without a problem (it detected the camera!), but then the SDK said that not camera could be found. Then the camera didn't work at all (neither as webcam or on the SDK examples).

At the end, my brother lent me his new laptop: a new HP pavilion wit an i5 4200U. The camera worked like a charm on the first try. I could install the drivers, the SDK, and the firmware update without any problems. Then the SDK examples worked perfectly too.

But ...... here stared the nightmare: every time I unplugged the Camera from the laptop, or turned off the computer, the camera would stop working!

The only solution was to restore the windows 8.1 to an early restore point (or reinstall the computer factory settings). I avoided the problem by simply not turning of the computer or the camera for 4 days (until I finished the demo).

PD: Panic arrived 2 hours before deadline when I accidentally unplugged the camera ......

Now, I will have a NUC to continue developing the App :-)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andradige_S_Intel

Interesting and serious issue..

Wondering whether you could share more details like screenshots, logs etc of the issue, so we can diagnose the root cause

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Is your Windows doing any updates? Would it be possible to compare your usbstor drivers when it fails vs the restore point that works?

0 Kudos
Alberto_P_
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same problem, when I unplugged my RS camera, it stops working, and I spent a week trying to restore it, but without any success (when I plug the RSC, just turn on its green led on but its undetected)

PS. Merry Christmas and holidays for everyone

0 Kudos
Carles_V_
Beginner

Colleen Culbertson (Intel) wrote:
Is your Windows doing any updates? Would it be possible to compare your usbstor drivers when it fails vs the restore point that works?

In theory the Windows where up to date.

I will ask again for the computer and make that test.

0 Kudos
Carles_V_
Beginner

Alberto P. wrote:
I have the same problem, when I unplugged my RS camera, it stops working, and I spent a week trying to restore it, but without any success (when I plug the RSC, just turn on its green led on but its undetected)

Did you try to restore windows or restore your computer?

It was the only solution for me :-(

0 Kudos
Alberto_P_
Beginner

Hi Charles V.

Thank you, I will try to fix the camera problem, How do I restore Windows (restart computer, reinstall windows 8.1 or a special restore option.. where?)

Greetings!

0 Kudos
Carles_V_
Beginner

Try using any of this tips:

• Use the System Configuration Tool (msconfig.exe)
  • Use Shift + Restart
  • Use F8 or Shift + F8 (after bios)
0 Kudos