Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

(NAP) RealSense Camera works on some 3th generation Processors too!

Arthur_T_1
Beginner

Hi all,

I have to admit I am confused. An hour ago I started trying to use my RealSense with samples again, and it did not work, so I checked the forum for similar issues, as it was working fine last week. There I saw a lot of posts about the SDK requiring a 4th generation processor to work on, which I found strange as it worked fine on my 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3632QM. Found out that the problem was the DCM Service not running and got it fixed. But still, it works on my 3rd-gen i7.

Maybe some of you also were successful in using the SDK on other 3rd-gen processors and we should make a list of them?

Here the current non-exhaustive list of processors that shouldn't make the SDK work but still do:

• Intel Core i7-3632QM
  • Intel Core i5-2410M
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Before I upgraded my PC to a 4th Gen processor, the general rule seemed to be that the ones that worked involved audio processing, emotion recognition or simple RGB graphics, since the application only needed the hardware already available in a basic webcam.  Basic "blob tracking" of the hands would also work.

However, applications that needed to make use of more advanced hardware features only available in the RealSense camera, such as hand joint and face-point tracking and depth perception, did need a 4th Gen processor.

Also, if you were developing an application in Unity then a 4th Gen seemed to be an absolute requirement, otherwise you just got constant red error messages.

0 Kudos
Arthur_T_1
Beginner

In my case even the complex sample apps do work, as in the example picture I attached to this post. Facial Points, Expressions, even the Pulse Estimation was correct. I have to say I do not understand why it works, but it does, with a 3rd-gen i7. I have no idea what the difference between 3rd and 4th generation of Intel processors, but I have heard that the 4th gen begun not with the 4*** numbers but earlier with the Ivy Bridge thingy. Maybe my processor is in fact 4th-gen?

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

What is the number of your processor?   You can always check what your processor is and it's capabilities at ark.intel.com

0 Kudos
Arthur_T_1
Beginner

My processor is this one: http://ark.intel.com/products/71670/Intel-Core-i7-3632QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-BGA

It is flagged as 3rd-gen but still makes the thing work. Thus my doubts.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

I was able to make it run on my 1st-gen i5!
Let's start from there instead!

0 Kudos