Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Named license and virtual machines

david_c_17
Beginner

Hi,

Reading about the licensing, my understanding of named licenses means that I can install the software to up to 3 machines, as long as I don't use the software on more than 1 machine at a time. But when I tried to install Intel Visual Fortran on a VM, I got some licensing errors, presumably because my licensed is attached to another VM (destroyed since then). I could workaround by setting the mac address of the new VM to the old VM, but I would prefer being able to install the multiple copies without having to do this workaround: how can I create multiple license files with different hosts ids using my named license ?

It is also not clear what "using the software" means in this context: if I have the compiler installed on 2 separate machines, am I complying with the license as long as only one machine is running processes part of the visual fortran suite ? If I want to build multiple softwares in parallel, does that mean I have to run them on one multicore machine instead of 2 different VMs ?

thank you,

David

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Light_Intel

Hi David,

We made the change to our licensing model for named-user licenses as some users did not comply with our EULA (End User License Agreement) and used a single license on multiple systems not for a personal use as intended. Regretfully, this have had impact on VM environments, where people build and destroy VMs. I don't have an easy solution for you. We know this is an issue and we are looking for ways to make it easier for users like yourself. That said, the current solution we have is either do what you have been doing, or when it comes to a real system, not a VM, you can ask us to release a specific activation if you would like to move to another system.

As for your second question, I do appreciate your wish to comply with the EULA. I will have to check with our legal department to give you a correct answer.

Regards,

Noga

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
david_c_17
Beginner

Thanks Noga.

Regarding my first question, do you confirm we still have the right to install the software on 3 different OS (as specified here https://software.intel.com/en-us/faq/licensing, 3rd answer) ? How can I activate this feature ? I will look into hardcoding the MAC address of our VM using the fortran compiler in the mean time.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Hi David,

NAMED-USER LICENSE: If You obtained the Materials under a named-user license, You may allow only one (1) individual to install and use the Materials on no more than three (3) computers provided that same individual is using the Materials only on one (1) computer at a time.

You can install the product on 3 systems associated with you. You can install using the SN if you are connected to the Internet. The installation will create a license file for each one of the systems with the mac address of that system. That license file will only work on the system it was installed on. If you are not connected to the Internet during installation you will have to create a license file manually. See: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-do-i-get-a-license-file-for-an-offline-installation-of-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016

I will have an answer for you soon about the second part of your question regarding "using the Materials only on one (1) computer at a time".

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
david_c_17
Beginner

Hi Noga,

When I used the SN on a 2nd VM, I got an error about invalid license (I was connected to the internet in that VM). That error went away as soon as I restarted the VM after changing the MAC address to the first VM (which was off at that time). In other words, I did the following:

1. Create VM 1, install Visual Fortran on it through my S/N, worked without any trouble. If that matters, the installation was actually unattended. This was for testing our provisioning, so I destroyed the VM a few hours later.

2. I created VM 2. I tried to install Visual Fortran with my S/N, and that did not work. After looking into various Intel forums, and looking at the license generated at 1, I realized the MAC address issue.

3. I stopped VM 2, changed the MAC address to the one registered in the license file created for VM 1, and then I could install the software successfully

I have just checked, and could only see a single license file in my account.

thanks again for your help,

David

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Hi David,

I can see only one activation of your SN. Which means as far as we know there was only one successful attempt to install it on a single system. This is how it is supposed to work on regular systems: During installation the installer looks for the system's host id (mac address) and sends that information to Intel Register Center (IRC). IRC creates a license file with that host id and places it on the system. This can be repeated on 2 additional machines for a total of 3 activations. However, if you try to install it on a second machine using the license file not the SN it will not work, as the host id of the second system is different.

I am not sure why your second attempt was not successful. Did you try to use the license file instead of the SN? If you tried the SN and it didn't work it means it couldn't find a host ID or that VM or the host ID was the same as the first VM. The named-user system-locked license installation should work the same on VM as on regular system. BTW, are you using cloud environment or a normal desktop or servers on which you instantiated the VM manually?

As for your question about what it means to run it on a single system at the time, this is the answer I received from legal: In your example of having a license to the compiler, I believe ‘use’ means compiling.  So, given this example and a single named-user license, you may have only one compilation going at any given time.  For example, you may NOT have an automated build system doing a compilation on one system, and simultaneously you doing a compilation on a separate system.  Please let me know if this addresses your question.

Noga

0 Kudos
david_c_17
Beginner

Hi Noga,

When trying to register the second VM, I tried from the S/N and not the license file. The hostname was the same, but the MAC address was different, maybe that's what confused the licensing scheme ? I am currently using VM in our private vmware-based system, but we were hoping to extend this to AWS or azure, where I suspect MAC address will be much harder to control.

Thank you for your answer to my 2nd question,

David

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

That is very peculiar. We don't look at Host Names as those are not unique and are easily changeable. We look at Host ID (mac address) which is supposed to be unique. Can you please attach the installation log from on the second VM to help me get an inkling of what is going on? The log file should be under: c:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Temp\pset_tmp_PSXE2016_USERNAME\

Noga

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

You may find the following article helpful: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_advanced_mac_address.html

FYI, we don't officially include VM in our supported platforms but we are looking into it.

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

This thread is now closed. If you have similar issue please start a new thread.

0 Kudos