Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

New Developer Kit, Depth/IR Camera Not Working + Docs Are Not Very Helpful

Mike_T_1
Beginner

Hi,

I recently bought the developer kit and was excited that my new camera turned up quickly - congratulations on that.

However...I have yet to see my depth/IR camera work and I've seen a lot of people flag this sort of problem on the forum and I've not really come across any kind of 'troubleshooting' guide to date. It would be great if someone from Intel to write up how to diagnose problems like this.

I am running on Windows 8.1 (64-bit). The machine is a Dell XPS 12 and I have the device plugged into an on-board USB3.0 port. I've also tried it via a powered (plugable) USB 3.0 hub. Whatever I try, I cannot get the 'Capture Viewer' tool to display anything beyond video.

Whenever I ask for depth or IR and start the stream the camera green light comes on for a moment or two and then goes off and the 'Capture Viewer' application logs an error of [-202] saying 'Device failed due to unplug or unavailability'.

If I look in my event log I see a crash being reported;

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x0007507a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\RSDCM\bin\win32\RealSenseDCM.exe

If I use the SDK information tool then the 'Version' tab reports;

SDK and components versions:

• Intel(R) RealSense(TM) SDK 4.0.0.52526
  • Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Depth Camera Manager 1.2.14.24922
  • Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 3D Camera 0226

Update available at Intel Realsense Portal :

• Intel(R) RealSense(TM) SDK 2014 Runtime Gold 3.1.0.25181

but the problem is that the hyperlink that it gives me doesn't really go anywhere specific and I can't find information about this 'Runtime Gold 3.1.0.25181' version and I'm unsure whether this a real problem or just some legacy.

The SDK information tool is a nice thing but it seems to contain tonnes of data but no real information to tell me what's not actually working.

I'm attaching the saved output of 'SDK Information', can anyone help me identify my problem please?

The other plea that I'd make is that while it was easy to get the camera itself, the web sites around it seem to be quite confusingin terms of providing a clear path towards what a new developer needs to install. Specifically, I spent an hour or two before I realised that I was missing the DCM component because I hadn't opened some PDF document. It'd be really nice to see a;

Here's How to Get Started with Your New Camera

guide that really spelled out in a very clear (and up to date) way what the requirements are, where to get them and how to check that they have been installed correctly. A lot of what's written up right now seems to be mixing old/new information and isn't presented perhaps for someone coming to this for the first time in March, 2015.

All help much appreciated - would really like to see this camera work if at all possible.

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CLi37
Beginner
  • Intel(R) RealSense(TM) SDK 2014 Runtime Gold 3.1.0.25181

25181 is R1 not R2. It is not the latest. 

Before install SDK 4.0, you need to insert camera, and install RealSenseDCM first.

0 Kudos
Mike_T_1
Beginner

Thanks - I'll give that a try and see how it works out.

Mike.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

The 4.0 version is the latest. Dis-regard the available 3.1 update as that is not an update. .

Your problem really sounds like USB power - can you tell us your brand of USB controller from dev. manager?

0 Kudos
Mike_T_1
Beginner

Thanks - I've just uninstalled the SDK based on previous advice but I'll now put it back again :-)

Device manager tells me 'Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)" and has 2 entries for "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller"

Does that help?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

what CPU do you have?  And what driver for the Intel  USB  3.0 x HC?

0 Kudos
Mike_T_1
Beginner

CPU as per device manager is "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3687U CPU @2.10Ghz".

Driver for the Intel USB 3.0 x HC is "Microsoft, 10/6/2014, 6.3.9600.17393"

Thanks for being so speedy on this by the way - much appreciated :-)

I'm guessing this might be leading towards me needing to use a different machine with a different CPU? :-S

Mike.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

ok - the issue may be that you only have a third, not fourth generation (or later) processor.  V4.0 of the RSSDK seems to have tightened down on when it enforces that stated requirement.  the RGB cam will proabably work for most things but the improved depth I think used some instructions only in the 4th gen and later CPUs. 
You could try using the previous 3.1 version to see but I think even if not the issue for this, it will be an issue for other functions.

0 Kudos
Mike_T_1
Beginner

Ok - thanks for helping me identify, I had seen the requirements around Haswell but was hoping that the installation of the SDK meant that I was going to get away with it :-)

For the moment, this is a blocker for me as I don't have a Haswell based laptop so I'll have to put RealSense on the back burner for a while.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Mike.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

I think it would be worth checking that you're in an actual USB 3 port (blue coloring) as you might have some of both. 

0 Kudos
Mike_T_1
Beginner

Hi,

I am in a USB 3.0 port - I've been using the very same port for my Kinect for Windows V2 sensor which also requires USB 3.0 but doesn't have the Haswell requirement.

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Kudos