Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

New forum software

whyisthissodifficult
Hey guys, I appreciate these forums are a work-in-progress, but did you actually test any of this?

* Can we expect it to get any faster? Simple pages are taking much too long.

* Why are even simple links javascript? Why is it that when I want to view a thread with two pages of responses, I have to (slowly) open the first page then click 'next' to (slowly) open the next page? Then, when opening the 'next' page, I click the next button again (as taking ten seconds to open a page is much too long) why does it take me to page three, when no such page exists? The best bit is how this page contains no error message of any kind, just a single post, making it _look_ valid. The follow up to this is why are these forums now completely unusable without javascript?

* The default forum view is sorted by subject. Who could possibly make use of that? Your "sort by last post date descending" is broken too, with no apparent order to the threads. Whoops, one of the largest software companies in the word can't write sort()

* How does one remove the 'author image' to the left of every thread title? It reduces the amount of things I can see on the screen at once, and provides no actual information. "Oh, there's pixel.gif again. That has greatly improved my user-experience of the Intel Software Network!"

* Where have all the timestamps gone? Oh, the latest post was "On September 25, 2008 PDT"? Great.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
whyisthissodifficult
Hey guys, I appreciate these forums are a work-in-progress, but did you actually test any of this?

* Why are even simple links javascript? Why is it that when I want to view a thread with two pages of responses, I have to (slowly) open the first page then click 'next' to (slowly) open the next page? Then, when opening the 'next' page, I click the next button again (as taking ten seconds to open a page is much too long) why does it take me to page three, when no such page exists? The best bit is how this page contains no error message of any kind, just a single post, making it _look_ valid. The follow up to this is why are these forums now completely unusable without javascript?

* The default forum view is sorted by subject. Who could possibly make use of that? Your "sort by last post date descending" is broken too, with no apparent order to the threads. Whoops, one of the largest software companies in the word can't write sort()

* How does one remove the 'author image' to the left of every thread title? It reduces the amount of things I can see on the screen at once, and provides no actual information. "Oh, there's pixel.gif again. That has greatly improved my user-experience of the Intel Software Network!"

* Where have all the timestamps gone? Oh, the latest post was "On September 25, 2008 PDT"? Great.

Oh, I'm going to have to respond to this, as posts with no response are shuffled deep into a list at the end of a forum view, never to be seen. Great work guys.

0 Kudos
Adam
Beginner

Oh, I'm going to have to respond to this, as posts with no response are shuffled deep into a list at the end of a forum view, never to be seen. Great work guys.

A lot of people have bought this one up. The JavaScript links make it harder to bookmark, or "Open in new tab" options to work too. Perhaps this problem is due to the custom software they use for the forums. When posting, I find my accessibility settings fail as well (the images for the buttons don't appear).

Now, attention Intel: if you guys can't fix this, who can?

>Woops! One of the largest software companies in the world can't write sort()

They can write JavaScript links for some reason (Oh yeah, apparently server-side scripting doesn't exist). But they can't seem to write easy to us forum software either. I wonder if they are using the same software from 1999 (I wasn't over here in 1999, but the forum software certainly suggests a "retro" environment). I honestly thought it was 2009 this year. Maybe my calendar is wrong?

As for the speed, what Internet connection and Web browser are you using? I find it loads fairly fast under Opera 10 Alpha under Windows NT Workstation 4.0 using 8Mbps connection (but NT for some reason doesn't download web pages at more than 10KB/s)

I address this reply to Intel too and hope that an Intel representative will let me know of any major updates.

Also how about some more detail in error pages? Saying something is invalid and telling me to report this to Intel staff is rather useless when there is no indication of what to report to Intel staff.

0 Kudos
Michael_S_Intel5
Employee
Quoting - Adam Kachwalla

A lot of people have bought this one up. The JavaScript links make it harder to bookmark, or "Open in new tab" options to work too. Perhaps this problem is due to the custom software they use for the forums. When posting, I find my accessibility settings fail as well (the images for the buttons don't appear).

Now, attention Intel: if you guys can't fix this, who can?

>Woops! One of the largest software companies in the world can't write sort()

They can write JavaScript links for some reason (Oh yeah, apparently server-side scripting doesn't exist). But they can't seem to write easy to us forum software either. I wonder if they are using the same software from 1999 (I wasn't over here in 1999, but the forum software certainly suggests a "retro" environment). I honestly thought it was 2009 this year. Maybe my calendar is wrong?

As for the speed, what Internet connection and Web browser are you using? I find it loads fairly fast under Opera 10 Alpha under Windows NT Workstation 4.0 using 8Mbps connection (but NT for some reason doesn't download web pages at more than 10KB/s)

I address this reply to Intel too and hope that an Intel representative will let me know of any major updates.

Also how about some more detail in error pages? Saying something is invalid and telling me to report this to Intel staff is rather useless when there is no indication of what to report to Intel staff.

I'm going to jump out on a limb here, but I will agree on most points. We are working on trying to make the site better and easier to use, and actually one of the first areas is the forums. I must be somewhat politically correct but development was offloaded to another team and there was too much attempted to be delivered in too little of a timeline. What wound up is a lot of hands in the cookie jar and a lot of excess code.

I personally want to have pride on this website and our team is working hard (although hard to tell without seeing behind the scenes) to re-tool the site from many angles.

I can't give you any ETAs and I can only say please be patient and work with what we've got for now. We're working on it :)
0 Kudos