Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Preserving the modified file system on Xeon Phi Coprocessor

Rocha__João
Beginner

Dear all,
I'm working with an Intel Xeon Phi 7120 Coprocessor. As i have made some configurationand want to preserve the current file system i would like to capture its image in order to get a permanent storage.
As i executed the command "ssh root@mic1 'cd / ; find . /dev -xdev ! -path "./etc/modprobe.d*" ! -path "./var/volatile/run*" | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9' > /usr/share/mpss/boot/custom.cpio.gz" to capture the current file system of a certain mic (mic1) to host file but nothing happens, so i don't know what i am doing wrong.
If someone could help, i would appreciate.
Best regards,
João Rocha

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rob_J_
Beginner

I wouldn't expect that to work, you're treating the Phi as if it is on the same filesystem as the host. Try saving to a file on the Phi then moving it with SCP or FTP.

Other considerations are: network access from Phi to Host, possible command errors (I can't comment on this since the line supplied looks like gobbledegook to a Windows user. :) )

0 Kudos
Rocha__João
Beginner

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your reply.
I executed as it is on the MPSS users guide from Intel. After:
ssh root@mic1 'cd / ; find . /dev -xdev ! -path "./etc/modprobe.d*" ! -path "./var/volatile/run*" | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9' > /usr/share/mpss/boot/custom.cpio.gz
i got: 4327714 blocks. I wonder if it means that the file system was captured (as i suppose) and then executed:
micctrl --rootdev=StaticRamFS --target=/usr/share/mpss/boot/custom.cpio.gz

but this time i got an error: [Error] Cannot specify a target location if not specifying a single card

So what i am not doing is specify the phi card where i want to copy the preserved file system? If so, how can i do it?

Thanks.

Cheers,
--
João Rocha

0 Kudos
Rob_J_
Beginner
B.1 Micctrl command line format

The micctrl command line format is:

micctrl GlobalOptions Command SubOptions Coprocessors

So you need to add micN at the end. I believe the example in 7.2.2 assumes a single coprocessor in the system.

BTW it makes more sense when I read that the first line you quoted above is executed from the host. :)

0 Kudos
Rocha__João
Beginner

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tips. I think it has worked...i got:

micctrl --rootdev=StaticRamFS --target=/usr/share/mpss/boot/custom.cpio.gz micN
micctrl(segv_handler+0x18) [0x407818]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x35270) [0x2abf44b4e270]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x13503a) [0x2abf44c4e03a]
micctrl(rootdev+0x1f7) [0x416a57]
micctrl(parse_rootdev_args+0x1df) [0x416d7f]
micctrl(main+0x39f) [0x407bef]
/lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x2abf44b3ac05]
micctrl() [0x4076f9]
[root@orion2 ~]# exit
logout

Is it suppose to get this message?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Rob_J_
Beginner

When I wrote micN that wasn't meant to be taken literally. It means mic0 or mic1 or whichever one you want to send the files to.

I'm not sure what the output should look like, I've never done that.

0 Kudos