Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Problem appearing when adding a button?

Cooper_M_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm fairly new with intel XDK and learning HTML5/Javascript. I'm attempting to make an app using this program. I added algorithm to accept swiping images to left or right, and I wanted to add button to the right of the image. I've added two columns, and then in one column lies an image. Right column would contain buttons. But what I noticed is that when I add just one button to this column, it would suddenly make half of screen (not exact half but almost) go blue. And when I run it on an iPad to test, the screen is half black instead. I tried searching for solution but I keep finding relating to "BSOD" which is not related. Maybe I've been using wrong words for search but I don't know the exact error I get from this. 

Again, I'm learning so I may be overlooking something valuable. Also, if this is a repeated/duplicate question - I apologize and please guide me to the solutions?

Thank you. 

P.S. I can post images if that helps

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Are you building your UI by hand or by using the UI Layout tool (App Designer)?

0 Kudos
Cooper_M_
Beginner

Bit of both because I needed to code to make swiping work - since I couldn't figure out how to include that via app designer. So I'll say both. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Although you, technically, can modify what App Designer implements, it's generally better to leave it alone. So if you are doing this by hand (which will give you more control) then I recommend you do it all by hand and not use App Designer.

The UI layout tool (App Designer) is completely optional, it is not required to build and app with the XDK or with Cordova.

0 Kudos
Cooper_M_
Beginner

So you're suggesting that app designer is causing this weird bug? 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I'm suggesting that the interaction of your code and AD may be causing the issue, and the only way to know for sure is to eliminate some of the variables. In general, trying to modify what AD creates does not end well.

0 Kudos
Cooper_M_
Beginner

Well, I managed to find the issue - it is specifically from using App Framework. I changed it to jQuery Mobile, and the blue/black screen disappeared. So it's probably because of using App Framework. 

I'm ok now. :) Thank you for your help! 

0 Kudos