Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Problems with console, Inspector, and plugins dir

jC
Beginner

Hello,

i've got the followings problems with the XDK

In emulator when reloading, the console is not cleared

-> i've the options "clear javascript console on load" checked AND the option "preserve log" not checked

In emulator, debugger -> the inspector, (the magnifier to select some elements and see the dom+css), sometime it stops working, meaning it selects/shows the element in the DOM/source, but does not shows the CSS informations linked. To resolve, i have to restart the complet APP or use setting -> "restore defaults and reload" of the console, but both methods are not working very well i have to do that more than once sometimes!

The plugins directory, at root of the project is rebuilded each time I launch the emulator, slowing the start of the emulator, could it be regenerated ONLY when we change some settings in the project options tab (and @project loading eventually, or else) ???

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I'll ask the responsible engineer to take a look. He'll likely ask you for more details in order to understand what is not working.

0 Kudos
Julian_H_Intel
Employee

It is certainly true that many of those Cordova "prepare" operation can be optimized away, and we have an item on our list to do just that.  It shouldn't be too hard for us to recognize the common case where no changes were made to the project sources or the plugin selections, in which case the previous prepare results are perfectly good as is.

I haven't seen the problems you cite with the debugger before.  We know that restarting the emulator leaks some memory, so maybe the issues you're seeing are related to being close to out of memory.  I would feel more confident with that diagnosis if you said that the problems only happen after you have been running the XDK for a while.  If you can get the debugger to fail near the start of an XDK session then that would point to some other cause.  Any additional details you can provide about how that fails would help.

I agree with you that the "clear console on restart" option isn't working anymore.  Thank you for that report; we will investigate.

0 Kudos
jC
Beginner

Yes about the cordova prepare, it's more an optimization than a problem, just as we are using a remote synced filesystem, it adds a lot of operations in the background. not a big deal.

I just tested using the hello-cordova project about the debugger issue, and i've got the problem directly at startup! (it's random, sometimes it works a few minutes the breaks). For the notice, my XDK is highly instable, it crashs very quickly, 10 minutes of loading/reloading emulator (i use an external code editor so i'm about only using the emulator tab actually (+ compil sometimes)

i don't know what informations i can send to you about the problem ? (i will try to deinstall/reinstall the whole XDK first)

EDIT : after a full reinstall (appZapper + manually cleaning preferences / caches), reimporting the project, i got the same issue

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Chenailler -- see the instructions here for a complete uninstall: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/542074

Are you using a Mac, Windows or Linux? What version of the OS?

0 Kudos
jC
Beginner

Using Mac OS X 10.10.3.

EDIT : my colleague had some related issues on Windows 7, but i can't confirm that for the moment

About the reinstall, that's basically what i did. (By the way, after the update process, you don't remove the DMG file from the temp/cache directory)

Here are 2 attachements, one working, the other failed, if it can helps.

EDIT2: the instalbility i was talking seems related with the inspector issues, as when i try playing with the inspector, it crashes quickly, using the emulator without playing inspector is stable.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thanks for the additional details regarding the Emulate tab instabilities. I'll inform the responsible engineer. He might ask for additional details in order to reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos
Julian_H_Intel
Employee

From your description, it seems unlikely that the debugger problems are due to a shortage of memory.  The screen captures care very helpful and show us what to look for.  Since you just used the standard hello-cordova project and we now know your OS version we should be able to re-create the problem.  I will pass this along to the people responsible for the debugger component.

0 Kudos