Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Realsense Snapshot on DellV8 - start camera via intent

Manfred_S_
Beginner

I can't believe that there isn't a forum for realsense snapshot (perhaps they are trying to bury it silently...), so this forum seems the best match for my needs.

I'm trying get the relsense snapshot cameras on the Dell V8 tablet working under android. There are two approches to that:

- Opening the Cameras on your own and managing a preview on a surface.
>>> This does not work, because i only get a camera count of 2 (there should be 4, 1 front-facing, 3 back-facing)

- Using an intent to call the camera capture application and record and image there which gets passed back
>>> this is the simpler approach, but does not work either. I send the camera intent, but i only get the option to take normale pictures (not depth pictures) in the camera app. Does anyone know if this can be done and how? Do i have to use a special extra for the intent?

Does anyone know a dell forum/dev forum where i can ask this or are they only the hardware suppliers?

If anyone is interested, here is the code that i use for the intent. I'm quite frustrated already, perhaps someone has any idea?

THANKS a lot!

public void onTakePicture(View view)
    {
        Toast.makeText(this, "Take Picture", Toast.LENGTH_SHORT);
        Intent takePictureIntent = new Intent(MediaStore.ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE);
        // Ensure that there's a camera activity to handle the intent
        if (takePictureIntent.resolveActivity(getPackageManager()) != null) {
            // Create the File where the photo should go
            File photoFile = null;
            try {
                photoFile = createImageFile();
            } catch (IOException ex) {
                // Error occurred while creating the File
                //...
            }
            // Continue only if the File was successfully created
            if (photoFile != null) {
                takePictureIntent.putExtra(MediaStore.EXTRA_OUTPUT,
                        Uri.fromFile(photoFile));

startActivityForResult(takePictureIntent, REQUEST_IMAGE_CAPTURE);
            }
        }

}

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Manfred_S_
Beginner

Sorry, i have to answer my own question here. I've traced some other apps that use the realsense snapshot function and the intent they are using. Just for completeness sake, its "android.intent.depth.capture" if anyone else has to use it sometimes.

0 Kudos