Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Removed Framework7 impact

Arthur_T_
New Contributor I

Dear support,

XDK v3619 stated Framework7 will be removed from XDK in the future. What impact will it be? How about all existing projects that using that framework? Will the support on Framework7 from XDK no longer available (so far I don't have that kind of questions to XDK support)? Could I keep using Framework7 for new project even though at the time it is removed from XDK by base on an old project that using Framework7?

Why I choose Framework7 as that look more iOS7 style.

I think this issue affect lot of developers.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

I understand that only for AppDesigner this tool (Framework7) will be removed. All the others functions, like libraries, will be maintened. Is it right?

0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

Perfect. For me, I use AppDesigner only to start the app (first look), then, it won´t be so bad. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Arthur_T_
New Contributor I

Thanks Paul and understood.

From your link, it said "You can always use this (or any mobile) framework with the Intel XDK, but you will have to do so manually, without the help of the Intel XDK App Designer UI layout tool."

Does it means when XDK support Bootstrap only. I should do these in order to use Framework7:

1. create a project (it will use Bootstrap)

2. replace www with Framework7 stuffs and add corresponding reference in index.html.

3. create new page (html) in DEVELOP->CODE manually that using Framework7 codes within page div.

It is fine for me with the above steps.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Arthur -- what that means is that you can create an app using any UI framework you like, but you will not be able to use App Designer, you will have to do it "by hand." For example, if you want to build a UI using Framework7 you should create a project using the standard Cordova app (clear the App Designer checkbox) and then create your layout as you would for a web app.

The steps you outlined above will not work. App Designer will recognize existing projects that were already creating with the deprecated UI frameworks, but you cannot create new App Designer projects using those deprecated UI frameworks. If you want to use Framework7 in a new project you need to use it OUTSIDE of App Designer.

0 Kudos
Arthur_T_
New Contributor I

Thanks.

That mean I should create a new project with App Designer checkbox uncheck at that time. Then I can use the Framework7 as usual by copies the required files to www and add the required reference in index.html accordingly. Of course, build the UI html code in DEVELOP->CODE.

Right?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Correct. When you build an app without App Designer there will be no "CODE" or "DESIGN" button when you view your html files, you will only see code in the editor. There will also be no automatically generated less files, etc.

0 Kudos