Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

[Resolved] Windows 8 Build Fail - Error failed to install plug-in

Mitchell_Franklin
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have a project that uses the third part camera plugin phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner from https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner.

The error on build says Error: "phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner" failed to install.

Now to make sure I had the correct plugin ID etc. I removed and tried again with the same issue, I then took it a step further and tried to build it out to IOS and Android and the builds where successfull and worked successfully on the devices.

The process I use to add the plugin is via the add from web and provide the name, ID and URL of the plugin.

So this appears to be a specific error with Windows 8 builds only "I also cannot see it referanced in the build log". Is someone able to help or let me know if something additional is required? below is the windows 8 build log for reference.

Thanks

Mitch

Creating a new cordova project with name "Spur Card" and id "mj.spurcard" at location "...\SpurCard"
Using custom www assets from ...\cordova-app-hello-world\3.6.3
Copying custom www assets into "...\SpurCard\www"
Creating windows project...
Running command: ...\cordova-windows\3.7.1\package\bin\create.bat ...\SpurCard\platforms\windows mj.spurcard "Spur Card"
Creating Cordova Windows Project:
	App Name  : Spur Card
	Namespace : mj.spurcard
	Path      : ...\SpurCard\platforms\windows
Copying template to ...\SpurCard\platforms\windows
Command finished with error code 0: ...\cordova-windows\3.7.1\package\bin\create.bat ...\SpurCard\platforms\windows,mj.spurcard,Spur Card
Calling plugman.prepare for platform "windows"
Preparing windows project
Processing configuration changes for plugins.
Iterating over installed plugins: []
Writing out cordova_plugins.js...
Calling plugman.fetch on plugin "...\pl.st.1uvu1nry.blg\org.apache.cordova.device"
Copying plugin "...\pl.st.1uvu1nry.blg\org.apache.cordova.device" => "...\SpurCard\plugins\org.apache.cordova.device"
Calling plugman.install on plugin "...\SpurCard\plugins\org.apache.cordova.device" for platform "windows" with options "{"cli_variables":{},"browserify":false,"nohooks":["."]}"
Installing "org.apache.cordova.device" for windows
Install start for "org.apache.cordova.device" on windows.
Beginning processing of action stack for windows project...
Parsing windows project files...
creating jsproj from project at : ...\SpurCard\platforms\windows\CordovaApp.projitems
Action stack processing complete.
Writing out windows project files...
Iterating over installed plugins: [ 'org.apache.cordova.device' ]
Install complete for org.apache.cordova.device on windows.
Calling plugman.fetch on plugin "...\pl.st.1uvu1nry.blg\org.apache.cordova.splashscreen"
Copying plugin "...\pl.st.1uvu1nry.blg\org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" => "...\SpurCard\plugins\org.apache.cordova.splashscreen"
Calling plugman.install on plugin "...\SpurCard\plugins\org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" for platform "windows" with options "{"cli_variables":{},"browserify":false,"nohooks":["."]}"
Installing "org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" for windows
Install start for "org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" on windows.
creating jsproj from project at : ...\SpurCard\platforms\windows\CordovaApp.projitems
Iterating over installed plugins: [ 'org.apache.cordova.device',
  'org.apache.cordova.splashscreen' ]
Install complete for org.apache.cordova.splashscreen on windows.
Calling plugman.fetch on plugin "...\pl.st.1uvu1nry.blg\org.apache.cordova.geolocation"
Copying plugin "...\pl.st.1uvu1nry.blg\org.apache.cordova.geolocation" => "...\SpurCard\plugins\org.apache.cordova.geolocation"
Calling plugman.install on plugin "...\SpurCard\plugins\org.apache.cordova.geolocation" for platform "windows" with options "{"cli_variables":{},"browserify":false,"nohooks":["."]}"
Installing "org.apache.cordova.geolocation" for windows
Install start for "org.apache.cordova.geolocation" on windows.
Applying munge to package.phone.appxmanifest
Applying munge to package.windows.appxmanifest
Applying munge to package.windows80.appxmanifest
Iterating over installed plugins: [ 'org.apache.cordova.device',
  'org.apache.cordova.splashscreen',
  'org.apache.cordova.geolocation' ]
Install complete for org.apache.cordova.geolocation on windows.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I am not able to get a successful build using that repo and building for Windows8. I am able to get a successful build if I point to the Cordova plugin registry, where it will pull an older version (2.0.1) and the build is successful. Even if I set the import to point to version 2.0.1 from the repo the build fails, which says to me that something is wrong with the history in that repo (it was forked from the original owner).

The Cordova plugin registry has moved to NPM, but only Cordova CLI 5 build systems are compatible with that new registry. Our build system, and the next major upgrade of the XDK, will support CLI 5. I recommend you get started with the older version from the old Cordova registry and sit tight for the upgrade, which will happen in the very near future. At that point, you should be able to build against the latest version of that plugin for Windows.

To get the one from the registry, use this ID from this page http://plugins.cordova.io/#/package/com.phonegap.plugins.barcodescanner and check the box that says "in the registry." You'll get that latest version in that registry, which is 2.0.1 and the build should work.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

BTW -- I just tried a test build with the release candidate, which uses a staged build system (getting ready for release) and I was able to pull in the latest version of that plugin AND perform a build with it for Windows8 Cordova. You do not have access to that build system, but it proves that the next release will fix the issue you are running into.

0 Kudos
Mitchell_Franklin
New Contributor I

Hi and thanks for the great information. I will use the current registry version for window builds as you suggested and I look forward to the future release - sounds like it has some great enhancements so already improving on a exceptional product.

Thanks again

Mitch

0 Kudos