Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Suggestion for 3d scan functionality

Tomas_S_
Beginner

I wanted to implement a functionality to 3d scan players face and glue it to character in unity. Researching how to do it the closest I got was this:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/getting-realsense-3d-characters-into-your-game-engine

Which is ok for games where you want to integrate just the characters eyes behind the helmet and beard.

I have suggestion how to improve 3dscanning module functionality to enable small studios like our to integrate face scan into their games – it’s prepopulating the data before entering 3d scan.

From what I understand 3d scan boils down to 2 phases:

* building a point cloud by matching images from different camera angles,

* triangulating the point cloud to generate mesh.

Both of those steps could be prepopulated with 100% confidence data - that is existing model (template):

* metadata could be specified that helps camera matching ( head size, approximate nose position, head orientation).

* point cloud would be prepopulated with points inside the template mesh and augmented during the 3d scan process,

* triangulation/optimization would get template triangles as partial solution, only filling the open part (face). Triangulation would not build triangles close to existing ones and stich generated ones to existing mesh, optimization would not alter template triangles as they always have 0 error.

I hope something like that could be done, enabling bringing the face scanning experience to consumers not just developers.

0 Kudos
0 Replies