Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Samples/Examples + Camera Not Working!

Calvin_H_
Beginner

Hey all,

Finally just installed but the samples (and or camera) don't seem to be working - I've tried all of the C#/C++ examples which all crash and the JavaScript examples don't show anything! :(

This might be because I haven't got a USB3 port (seems to be a minimum requirement and no compatibility with USB2) so I'm going to buy an expansion card. 

My lack of a USB3 port comes from the fact I'm using workstation/server kit in my machine - looks like I need some more hardware?

Here is my workstation specs: 

Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro - Intel Xeon CPU E5620 2.40 ghz (2 x physical) - 32gb RAM - 4 hdd (mixed ssd/magnetic). 

Cheers,

- Calvin 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Claudio_R_
Beginner

I've plugged this camera accidentally on a USB 2 hub, it won't work, it needs the juice of USB 3 I guess.

The Processor difference makes me uneasy man, if these guys asked for Intel I7 specifically maybe the libraries will crash in your system. But let's stay positive and try it, seems powerful enough.

Btw, every example compiles out of the box in VStudio 2013, either C# or C++, also JS. I didn't test the rest. Trying to understand this super "Minimal Working Example."

0 Kudos
Calvin_H_
Beginner

Yeah all the examples compiled fine in Visual Studio but they crash on execute. I'm going to purchase a USB3 PCI card + extension cable, I have plenty of PCI-E slots free on my board, so it shouldn't be an issue. 

I've already grabbed a manfrotto tripod and I have the thing mounted - ready to roll. 

My dual physical CPU set-up has never been a pain under windows, I've never had any software or hardware incompatibility before! 

I'm very tempted to throw a cheap i5 rig together to play with this, but I will only go down that line if the USB3 card doesn't work. 

I will report back in a few days, once I get the extra kit - it is a shame that it can't run from a USB2 port though, that pretty much kills my desire to run it with an old atom board. 

0 Kudos
Claudio_R_
Beginner

Maybe somewhere in the future we'll have Atom compatibility :D 

This is just a prototype. 

0 Kudos
Calvin_H_
Beginner

Hey again,

So I shelled out £22 and got a USB3 card delivered at the weekend through Amazon Prime, installed the card, but no difference.

The only difference I noticed was a green light on the camera for a short period, but that quickly diminished, it was perfectly detected by the machine though and installed the driver when I plugged it in, also came up under device manager.

I'm going to try and reinstall the SDK, but other wise, it looks like I'm out of the competition as the camera is dead/my hardware is unsupported. 

Any ideas? Is there any way to get support for this product? 

Cheers,

- Calvin

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Hi Calvin,

The short lived green flash is normal, it may be a sign that everything is fine.

I am using the camera on an Asus T100 (Intel Atom processor), so it may work with your device as well.

Make sure to test the camera with the basic demos, such as raw_streams, because there are parts of the SDK that may not be supported in your machine, specially the 3D tracking stuff (hands, face, etc).

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Possible Fix - If you're camera was detected and then wasn't, please try restarting the Intel DCM service. It's in the Services control panel under Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Depth Camera Manager Service.  The DCM version is viewable from SDK-info Camera tab and should read 1.2.14.24922

0 Kudos
Calvin_H_
Beginner

samontab wrote:

Make sure to test the camera with the basic demos, such as raw_streams, because there are parts of the SDK that may not be supported in your machine, specially the 3D tracking stuff (hands, face, etc).

I tried most of the examples, those in C#, C++ and JavaScript - none worked. I compiled the C# and C++ examples in VS2012 Ultimate. 

They all compile fine, but when I execute them, some throw exceptions or say there was a device error, some don't do anything. 

Colleen Culbertson (Intel) wrote:

Possible Fix - If you're camera was detected and then wasn't, please try restarting the Intel DCM service. It's in the Services control panel under Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Depth Camera Manager Service.  The DCM version is viewable from SDK-info Camera tab and should read 1.2.14.24922

I tried this but no budge, still no response - the camera tab read 1.2.14.24922. The camera also appears in device manager under imaging devices, the driver version is 10.23.55.940. 

I tried swapping the camera to different USB3 ports but no green light, though windows detects the disconnect/reconnect.

This reminds me of that time I couldn't get appup to install any apps! :( 

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

You only see one camera under imaging devices? It sounds like you're only seeing the Virtual Driver not the Depth and RGB?

0 Kudos
Calvin_H_
Beginner

You only see one camera under imaging devices? It sounds like you're only seeing the Virtual Driver not the Depth and RGB?

Yeah, I only see the one device, no depth or rgb drivers? Maybe the others are not compatible with my system? :s

I've reinstalled the SDK (web installer) twice now with no issues apparent - I wonder if there is a log? 

camera.png 

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Did you ever see the RGB/Depth cameras? Have you checked for hidden devices?  Do you have another system you can try it on?

0 Kudos
Calvin_H_
Beginner

Did you ever see the RGB/Depth cameras? Have you checked for hidden devices?  Do you have another system you can try it on?

As far as I'm aware the other cameras never appeared - I've checked the hidden devices, nothing shown as unplugged, etc - see the picture below:

CAMERA2.png

@Calvin - You may have a totally different issue, most likely around USB3. Can you send the Device Manager info on your USB root device?

Here is the full list of my USB controllers/devices. I'm using this USB3 controller from inateck, 1kw psu so definitely enough power: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-E-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1418212148&sr=1-1&keywords=USB3+pci+inateck

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports/

camera3.png

Interestingly, the Windows Kinnect 2 has similar issues with various usb 3 controllers, I may buy another (from this list) and try again: 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bb379e8b-4258-40d6-92e4-56dd95d7b0bb/confirmed-list-of-usb-30-pcie-cardslaptopsconfigurations-which-work-for-kinect-v2-during?forum=kinectv2sdk

I do have another machine I could try, an ultrabook, but it isn't mine and I won't be able to have it for long and I won't be able to access it for at least another two weeks. I have several other machines, a macbook (Intel i5), an IBM thinkpad (Intel i5) and some others - none have USB3 ports though! 

Edit: I've ordered another USB3 controller from the Microsoft list, will post results. 

0 Kudos