Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Serial number is not valid for Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux* 2017

Tom_L_
Beginner

I registered on Intel website and got a serial number for Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux* 2017. However, when I tried to install Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux* 2017 on my system with this serial number, I got the following error information,

The serial number you provided is not valid for product Intel(R) Parallel Studio
XE 2017 for Linux*. Please refer to
https://software.intel.com/en-us/faq/licensing#manual-license-install for more
information.

I also tried to install offline with a license file and got the similar error.

Could anyone please kindly tell me the reason for this error?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alexandra_S_Intel

Hi Tom,

What exact operating system and OS version are you using?

- Alex

0 Kudos
Tom_L_
Beginner

Hi Alex,

This is my system information:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

Linux login 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6_lustre.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 11 11:58:21 PDT 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Well, your OS is compatible, to my knowledge, so that's good. Are you allowed to send me a log file?

To send me a log, do this on the command line:

export INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=/tmp/lic_debug.log

Then try to install your program. After you've done that, remember to unset the variable: 

unset INTEL_LMD_DEBUG

By running the installation with this variable set, you generate a log file located at /tmp/lic_debug.log which you can send to me with a private message by clicking "Send Author A Message" on the gray bar by my name, and attach that file to the message.

- Alex

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Thank you for sending me your log, Tom. Was this log from an attempt to install using a license file or an attempt to install using the SN?

From the log it looks like your system can't locate the license. If you were trying to use the license file I think we've found your problem.

The license files (or license server system network addresses) attempted are
listed below.  Use LM_LICENSE_FILE to use a different license file,
 or contact your software provider for a license file.
Feature:       AdvXEl
Filename:
License path:   :
FlexNet Licensing error:-1,359.  System Error: 2 "No such file or directory"
<...>
License file(s) used were (in this order):
    1.  Trusted Storage

Notice that the License path is empty and it's only looking in trusted storage.

What directory are you keeping your license file in, if you're using it? Also, please run the following command and tell me what output you get:

echo $INTEL_LICENSE_FILE

Please also tell me, are you trying to install into the default directory, or are you trying to install in another location - a path that contains a space, an @, or any other unusual symbols?

I apologize for the number of questions I'm asking but this error could be a lot of things and I'm trying to narrow it down.

- Alex

0 Kudos
Tom_L_
Beginner

Thank you for sending me your log, Tom. Was this log from an attempt to install using a license file or an attempt to install using the SN?

I am using the SN which I have gotten days before from Intel website.

From the log it looks like your system can't locate the license. If you were trying to use the license file I think we've found your problem.

01  The license files (or license server system network addresses) attempted are
02 listed below.  Use LM_LICENSE_FILE to use a different license file,
03  or contact your software provider for a license file.
04 Feature:       AdvXEl
05 Filename:
06 License path:   :
07 FlexNet Licensing error:-1,359.  System Error: 2 "No such file or directory"
08 <...>
09 License file(s) used were (in this order):
10     1.  Trusted Storage

Notice that the License path is empty and it's only looking in trusted storage.

What directory are you keeping your license file in, if you're using it? Also, please run the following command and tell me what output you get:

echo $INTEL_LICENSE_FILE

Following is the output:

echo $INTEL_LICENSE_FILE
/public/software/compiler/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.080/licenses:

Please also tell me, are you trying to install into the default directory, or are you trying to install in another location - a path that contains a space, an @, or any other unusual symbols?

I am just running the script ./install.sh and follow the steps to try to install the Intel parallel studio. I just finished the first two steps and did not begin to specify the installing directory.

I apologize for the number of questions I'm asking but this error could be a lot of things and I'm trying to narrow it down.

- Alex

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Tom_L_
Beginner

Hi alex, the problem has been fixed.

I copied the new license file for Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 to the the license directory  of an earlier version of Intel composer (Intel composer 2013 on my system) and found that at the step of activation there is an additional option: 1. Use existing license [default] (this option did not exist before I copied the new license file to the license directory of Intel composer 2013). When I pressed "enter" to continue, everything is ok and the package was perfectly installed.

So, at the step of activation, I think the installation may try to look for the license file in the license directories of older versions of Intel composers enen though I provided a new  serial number or new license file. I am not sure whether this is a common issue or just occurs on my system.

I have sent the log file of the successfull instalation to you through the private message.

Anyway, Thank you very much for your help.

Tom

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

This is very good to know, Tom. Thank you for reporting the successful installation to me.

As your issue has been resolved, I will be closing this thread; anyone who wants assistance with a similar problem should make a new thread to ensure that we can get to it in an orderly and efficient manner.

- Alex

0 Kudos