Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Signing app with SHA-256 algorithm not supported on older Android

PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The keystores generated by the new build system generate signatures using a SHA256 algorithm, which does not work with some older Android devices (mostly pre Android 4.3). This means that builds made with the new cert management system currently create APK files that may not install on some Android 4.0-4.2 devices (some devices will install, some will fail, depends on the manufacturer).

• older, weaker solution is: SHA1withDSA/SHA1
  • newer, stronger solution is: SHA256withRSA/SHA-256

The second algorithm is currently being applied, whereas, the first should be applied for maximum compatibility. The issue is currently being worked on and will be addressed as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are two workarounds:

• sign the APKs yourself (build "unsigned") using these instructions
    jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 ...
  • continue to use 2893 to build your apps until this issue is corrected

Correcting this issue requires updates to our build system and will not require an update to the Intel XDK client app (the application that is installed on your development system).

0 Kudos
8 Replies
christian_o_2
Beginner

I recently noticed this, and I was just gonna post about it then I saw your post haha

Thank you Paul

0 Kudos
André_V_
Beginner

I'm with this problem with older androids. 

This error was resolved or I need to download version 2893 ?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andre -- the problem is being worked on in the build system. It should be resolved early next week. Testing on fixes has already begun. If you need to publish something immediately, it would be best to do a self-sign. See this FAQ for pointers on how to do that > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/cordova#manually-sign-android-apk

0 Kudos
André_V_
Beginner

Hello, any news about it?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We are expecting to see it get pushed to the production build system today, assuming all other fixes go well, it should be working tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Chris_C_8
Beginner

Hi - can you confirm that the fixed build system is live pls.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The fix is live. Please try it and confirm that it fixes your issue.

Sometimes issues look the same (shoe the same symptoms) but require different fixes, so we can only test against the issues we've been able to reproduce. If it turns out that your issue is not fixed, we need to know so we can identify the root cause of that issue and correct it.

0 Kudos
Chris_C_8
Beginner

Thanks. I haven't been able to reproduce a problem, but it might fix a problem someone has reported, so I've done a new production release. Ta Chris

0 Kudos