Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Single User/Floating License for Fortran Compiler.

CRodrig
Beginner

I had previously submitted the followingquestion to https://premier.intel.com:

I recently upgraded from "INTEL Fortran Compiler 10.1 Standard Edition For Linux" to "INTEL Fortran Composer XE (v.12.0.4) for Linux".

In reading the response to the question regarding licensing on a single computer (w/ multiple CPUs), the INTEL Support website states "...Intel Software Products are licensed to a single user rather than to a single computer...Single systems with multiple CPUs can use a single license file."

I have installed "INTEL Fortran Composer XE (v.12.0.4) for Linux" on a single Linux workstation. Does this mean that if I wish to move the "Fortran Composer XE" software from machine A to machine B, it is as simple as removing the software from machine A and installing on machine B with the current license?

Does the interpretation of "Intel Software Products are licensed to a single user rather than to a single computer" mean that at my discretion, I am legally able to move the INTEL Fortran Composer XE software/license to any machine within my company?

--

The response fromintel.com (POC: Hao J.)was as follows:

We have received your problem report on Intel Fortran Compiler.
The single user license means that you could install multiple copy of Intel Fortran Composer XE on different machines as you want, but only you (the license owner) could use one copy of compiler on those machines (for example, compile and build the Fortran source) at the same time.

If there are other developers/users need to run the Intel compiler, your company may need to purchase more single user licenses according to the total number of developers/users, or the floating license.

Please let us know if you have more questions on this.

Thank you.

Hao J.

Intel Developer Support

--

My Question:

The statement "...your company may need to purchase more single user licenses according to the total number of developers/users, or the floating license" was a bit ambiguous.

Am I legally required to purchase a separate user license for each user using the Fortran Compiler ona host system, or a floating license?

I posed the same question to Programmers Paradise, an Intel Premier Partner. Their response was equally ambiguous. I need definitive clarification on the legality of the licenses, and the situaition I just described.

Thank You...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Krishna_R_Intel
Employee
Hi,
Thanks for using the forum. Let me try to clarify. If there are more than one developer (say 10 for example), then you may either buy a single user license for each developer (which means a total of 10 licenses) so that each of them can use the software OR if you think only a few developers (say for example 3) would be using the software at any given time, then you can purchase 3 floating licenses and this way only 3 (any 3 developers) developers can use the software product at a time. After a developer has used the product and done with it, the license is returned to the floating license server and available for the next developer to use.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Krishna
0 Kudos