Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Tweet Controlled Something

Bertug_Berkay_Y_
Beginner

Hi guys,

I am a very new Edison user. I have some knowledge on Arduino. (Did some projects about robotics.) I have accomplished to flash the Edison and setup the Yocto on it. Configured it and connected to the Internet. I also managed to do some Arduino examples. Now I am at the IoT part. 

Basically how can I turn a led on or off with a tweet? Or with sending a mail or something? 

If I can do this, I will be able to do much much more for my projects. I kindly ask you to help me out. I will be waiting for your replies.

Bertug-

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

Check out this project, this monitors the twitterverse, and sends messages to a Bluetooth device, (the sphero). https://software.intel.com/en-us/updating-orbotix-sphero-in-response-to-tweets-edison

Its not exactly what you asked for but hopefully this helps.

Another example I found is on Instructables, http://www.instructables.com/id/Tweet-with-your-Intel-Edison/

Google is your friend..

0 Kudos
Bertug_Berkay_Y_
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Steward. I will look into the links. 

0 Kudos
Matthias_H_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Bertug_Berkay_Y_1

Thanks Matthias. 
I am looking into the second link which Stewart gave. I am trying to build a tweet controlled coffee machine using Edison. If I can I will be sharing.

0 Kudos
Bertug_Berkay_Y_
Beginner

It's been sometime but I still could not manage to control an output through Edison board. The examples I found on-line, usually doesn't support the Edison.

Do you have any idea how to control Edison's output from twitter time line?

0 Kudos
Stan_G_
Beginner

Best advise it to defocus on the whole thing and break it down into pieces.

From your description.....

1. Make a program that led turns a led on.

2. Work out how to signal program to turn led on (look for semaphores, mutex and shared memory) - this is one way of communicating between programs. This is your signaller program.

3. Now you have a program that when run, talks to another program that makes a Led come on.

4. Now if you take the twitter verse code mentioned earlier and put it into your signaller program all of a sudden you are finished.

The important thing is to in some respects do the job as agile code where you have programs that can be built up out of stubs and you write and test bits as you go along until almost magically - the job is done 

0 Kudos
ricky_j_
Beginner

interesting IoT project

0 Kudos