Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Unable to install HAXM on Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Gabo_G_
Beginner

Hello, I just installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update and now I am unable to install HAXM v.6.0.3, whenever I try to install it, windows complains that it can not verify the digital signature on the driver. This is the error I see in the event viewer:

The Intel HAXM Service service failed to start due to the following error:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

This used to work on the same machine prior to the update, any ideas on where the issue could be?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Brooks_H_
Beginner

I am experiencing this same issue.

I was able to use HAXM before with the first release of Windows 10. Now that I am running Windows 10 Anniversary Edition I cannot install HAXM because Windows blocks it for not being signed.

I did not do an upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. I formatted the drive and started over with a fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

0 Kudos
Brooks_H_
Beginner

I got this to work. Not sure I like how I got it to work but it works.

When you run the installer, it creates some temp files. Among those temp files is hax64.msi. Extract that and you can manually install the inf file. When you do this Windows will warn that it can't confirm the authenticity of the driver and ask if you want to proceed. After you install the hax64.msi file you still need to run the installer again to set memory size and whatever else it does. But from that point on your Android emulator should work. At least mine does.

Steps I took:

1. Open a command prompt as administrator.

2. cd to the temp directory created by the last time you ran the HAXM installer where you will find hax64.msi (Example: cd C:\Users\bhage\AppData\Local\Temp\intel\HAXM\6.0.3\2016-08-16_16-47-43)

3. Create a directory where you want to extract the has64.msi to. (example: mkdir exec)

4. Extract the hax64.msi by running:  msiexec /a C:\Users\bhage\AppData\Local\Temp\intel\HAXM\6.0.3\2016-08-16_16-47-43\hax64.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\Users\bhage\AppData\Local\Temp\intel\HAXM\6.0.3\2016-08-16_16-47-43\exec

5. In Windows Explorer go to where you extracted the hax64.msi file (.\exec\Intel\HAXM)

6. Right click on intelhaxm.inf and select Install

7. When prompted that the driver cannot be verified, select the option to install anyway (what a crazy fool you are).

8. Re-run the regular installer* 

9. Enjoy your working Android emulator

I hadn't re-run the full installer right away after installing the INF before trying to run an emulator. The emulator did run but I got lots of warning messages and the emulator ran painfully slow. After re-running the HAXM installer the emulator started performing well and all the warning messages went away.

0 Kudos
kois_h_
Beginner

I met the same problem.The CPU of my computer is i7-6650U,OS is windows 10 redstone.

I follow the Brooks H's solution.It doenn't work at all on my PC.

0 Kudos
Arik_A_
Beginner

Just simple solution from my problem after Windows 10 Anniversary Update is
Clear that driver and instal HAXM driver again. Dont forget, make sure your HW Virtualization is enable

0 Kudos
Jun_H_Intel
Employee

According to Microsoft (full article here):https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/

To summarize, on non-upgraded fresh installations of Windows 10, version 1607 with Secure Boot ON, drivers must be signed by Microsoft or with an end-entity certificate issued prior to July 29th, 2015 that chains to a supported cross-signed CA. We may fix this on next HAXM release. But unforturnate, right now, you only can try with Secure Boot OFF, maybe that is a work around, if you success, please let us know. 

FYI, this issue is also tracked here: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=221594

0 Kudos
Stefano_C_1
Beginner

Any news about the next HAXM release? I can't use your driver on my Surface Pro 3 (fresh install with the Annyversary Update) because secure boot cannot be disabled. I'm really waiting for the fix.

0 Kudos
Jun_H_Intel
Employee
Here is the new driver, in case you want to try it out
our QA is still testing and will release once it is done.

Package is attached in comment in https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=221594, in #38 floor, commented today. 

0 Kudos
Jun_H_Intel
Employee
Here is the new driver, HAXM v6.0.4, which fixed this issue, released in Android Studio. This will released in Intel developer zone soon. This is the same with which I give before.
0 Kudos
Stefano_C_1
Beginner

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos