Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Using RealSense w/ Infants

Geo_K_
Beginner
I am thinking about using RealSense with 6-12 months old babies. I am leading an experiment that will look at infants' linguistic and nonlinguistic manual responses (i.e. babbling in sign language) to different videos. To determine that, I need a noninvasive (i.e. nothing that requires infants to be attached to anything) technology that will allow me to distinguish the speed of infants' manual production (as measured by Hz). Is this something I could do with Intel's RealSense?

Thank you,
Geo
0 Kudos
3 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Definitely possible.

You would need to work with the raw depth channel (and maybe intensity as well).

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

This reminds me of the handheld gizmo that paranormal investigators on the show Ghost Adventures have that records inaudible frequencies and converts them into words in an electronic voice!  

On a visit to the castle of Vlad the Impaler (Dracula):

Box: "Aaron!"

Investigator Aaron: "Who's there?"

Box: "Vlad"

:)

Elephants also speak in complex low vibration rumbles that travel for miles but can't be heard by the naked human ear.

In regard to non-verbal cues: though RealSense does not have a facial emotion recognition component any more, there are ways to read a face.  For example, I analyze the angle of a facial landmark such as the mouth or eyebrow to determine whether it is angled up (happy) or angled down (angry).

0 Kudos
Ning_R_
Beginner

Interesting project!  I'm also using Realsense for healthcare, vision simulation.

0 Kudos