Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

VS 2008 & 2010 installed; Installed version PS 2011 but no access to it in VS

Richard_Rankin
Beginner
I'm using Windows 7. I had MS Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 installed. I purchased Intel Parallel Studio 2011 and installed it.If start VS 2008 or VS 2010 I do not get an option start a parallel studio as stated in the getting started docs (or any other doc for that matter). What is the problem?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee
Hi Richard,
During installation, the installer would have asked you to check if you want the Studio to be integrated with VS2008 or VS2010 or both and depending on what you selected it would haveintegrated accordingly.

So, if you had integrated with VS2008 for example, then you can click

Start->All Programs->Intel Parallel Studio 2011-> Intel Parallel Studiowith VS2008

to launch the Visual Studio which will have all the components of the Parallel Studio integrated in it. Once you launch the Studio, you will notice there will be the Studio components (Advisor, Composer, Amplifier andInspector) integrated and the icons visible on the tool bar. You can refer to the getting started tutorials under Start->Intel Parallel Studio 2011->Getting Started or you can also use the Help->Intel Parallel Studio option from the VS also.

If you still think you don't see the indvidual icons or components of the Studio not integrated, then please attach the install log files under: %TEMP%\parallel_studio*install.log* file(s) for further investigation, appreciate much.

Regards,
Kittur
0 Kudos
Richard_Rankin
Beginner
I will attach zip containing files if you tell me how
0 Kudos
Richard_Rankin
Beginner
This does not appear:

Start->All Programs->Intel Parallel Studio 2011-> Intel Parallel Studio with VS2008

nor does this which is what I want:

Start->All Programs->Intel Parallel Studio 2011-> Intel Parallel Studio with VS2010

what I do see is:

Start->All Programs->Intel Parallel Studio 2011-> Command Prompt->Intel 64 Visual Studio 2010 mode

along with 32 and 64 bit for 2008. I want the Intel Parallel Studio with VS2010 integration.

0 Kudos
Richard_Rankin
Beginner
I used "Control Panle->Programs and Features" and modify - while it forced me to use the C: drive against my wishes, a true anachronism, and it did a full reinstall, it did prompt me this time for the VS version to use and resolved the problem.
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Hi Richard,

Good to know it's resolved though, but that's strange. I wanted to ask you to attach the install log files but now that it's resolved, I've passed on yourfeedback to the install team, appreciate much. I'll ping you if the install team needs any more information from you upon their investigation, thanks.

-regards,
Kittur
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Hi Richard,
Our install team investigated your issue and they say that this could have happenned in a scenario where youhaveVisual Studios without MS C++ compiler installed. After installing Intel compiler you may then have the MS C+ compiler installed and after that a reinstallation of theIntel compiler works. That's their take on why it worked fine after. Hope that helps.
-regards,
Kittur
0 Kudos