Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Why Intel XDK app designer not compatible with App Framework 3.0

luis_l_
Beginner

I received a response to my post "Intel App Framework is dying from Intel-ian on the depreciated HTML5 Tools forum. Basically it said that i should not have used Inter XDK App Designer ! May be he did not see al the advertising and video for it on the intel site.>So I ask officially the question on this "official" Intel forum "It seems most of your issues are more around App Designer then App Framework itself. App Framework is one of the UI Frameworks you can use in App Designer. You can write your App Framework app without App Designer (this is the preferred way)." https://forums.html5dev-software.intel.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11174

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Elroy_A_Intel
Employee

Within Intel XDK, App Designer, the design tool will support creating applications with App Framework 3.0 among other frameworks later on this year. 

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

I'm one of the developers for App Designer. We will be supporting App Framework 3 in an upcoming release. I don't yet have specific dates.

As to why we don't yet support App Framework 3, it is simply because the App Framework roadmap changed -- we were expecting to pick it up at a different point on its trajectory. As I understand it now, App Framework is not "dying" and will continue. And, as mentioned, support for it will be appearing in App Designer soon.

0 Kudos
John_F_3
New Contributor I

Are there any updates on when App Framework 3.0 will be supported in the XDK? 

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

The work is underway, but I'm afraid that I can't commit to dates. 

0 Kudos
Viktor_F_
Beginner

More than a year has passed since this thread had been created.

May 2016 experience on App Designer's App Framework 3.0 compatibility:

XDK: xdk_web_win_master_3240.exe

I tried to follow the instructions of this short tutorial from Intel itself:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/part-11-of-12-interactivity

Simple page navigation does not work, since the code emitted by App Designer is trying to use activate_page, which is not available in App Framework 3.0. The Internet QA sites are full of this problem by now and none of the workarounds proposed there seem to work properly with the current XDK.

It would be nice to spend some time on re-testing your tutorials with the latest XDK release and fix at least the most basic features.

0 Kudos
Diego_Calp
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

In my experience, AF3 has activate_page() and activate_subpage() working perfectly.

Check if you have in index.html the link to the af_subpage.js script.

<script type="application/javascript" src="xdk/ad/af_subpage.js"></script>

This is the script that has both functions.

What I found is that XDK includes the script in index.html after you select in the interactivity pane Custom Script for one button and then click EDIT SCRIPT. In that moment index_user_scripts.js is populated with the event handler and af_subpage.js is includen in index.html

Of course that you may include it manually.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Diego

0 Kudos