Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Phone wp8 Crash at Splash

Rich_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I have a cordova 5.1.1 jquery mobile application.  It works fine in Android and IOS. It crashes at the splash screen in Windows 8 and WP8.1 phone.

I've side loaded the windows 8 pc version (via powershell run) and tried it with fiddler.  Fiddler shows a call to watson.telemetry.microsoft.com so I know it is crashing.

I've tried using the WEINRE process but my program is dying before this gives me anything.

Works ok in the emulator.  Does't work correctly in the wp8 app preview (alert boxes won't show, doesn't do much).

You can try it in the windows 8.1 phone store (doesn't do anything, just crashes):
http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=256addf8-a7be-45d5-813f-18ec1954f745

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Rick -- we're in the process of deprecating the use of the JQM framework in App Designer. WP8 is difficult to get working, the webview used in it is a significant departure from that which was in WP7. Win10 is much better, but there aren't many WP10 devices out there. Win10 UA is supported thru out EA release now, and will be supported in the next major release of the mainstream product. So you can try it now with the EA release > https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk-early-access

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Michael, thanks for that feedback. We are using the default Cordova CLI tools in the build system, with minor modifications to make it work in the cloud environment. The version you used locally, 5.4.0, is newer than the version we are currently hosting, 5.1.1. I'm passing your feedback onto engineering.

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

Alright. Kindly update us when there is a fix for Windows build.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Will do.

0 Kudos
Bhavya_A_
Beginner

Hey everyone,

I am also facing the same issue my application is working good on IOS and Android platform but It crashes at the splash screen in WP8.1 phone.

Please help me with my issue .

Thanks ,

Bhavya

0 Kudos
Dmitriy_I_
New Contributor I

add winstore-jscompat.js script before all scripts declared in index.html head

0 Kudos
Bhavya_A_
Beginner

Dear Amitriy,

Its still not working

Does windows OS supports jquery ?

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Bhava,

Windows supports jquery. What methods have you used to test your app? Are you testing on device? Have you tried running it in IE? Or used WEINRE?

0 Kudos
Rich_S_
Beginner

< rant >

Hi,

1) Using Jquery Mobile was the worst decision I ever made.  For G*ds sake Intel, pull those d*mn JQM demos off your site/templates!

2) I've given up on WP8 and WP8 mobile

3) I've been programming in Windows since 3.1 (yes, 3.1!), I literally have about 5 or 6 windows phones that my family abandoned and refuses to use.  I still use my windows phone but it blows up all the time (several times a day).  I'm more of a "Windows guy" than Bill Gates... But, it STINKS!!!! ahhh....

4) I'm holding out for the next build of the XDK, hopefully will include the Windows UAP (in "early release testing" now, I think)... Maybe, just maybe, (but most likely not), my app will work under the Windows 10 UAP Cordova build.  Not that there is the LEAST bit of interest from my users, but I'm somewhat obsessed with the idea of running my insurance app on my XBOX One...

Rich

< / rant >

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Rick -- we're in the process of deprecating the use of the JQM framework in App Designer. WP8 is difficult to get working, the webview used in it is a significant departure from that which was in WP7. Win10 is much better, but there aren't many WP10 devices out there. Win10 UA is supported thru out EA release now, and will be supported in the next major release of the mainstream product. So you can try it now with the EA release > https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk-early-access

0 Kudos
Ganesh_R_Intel
Employee

This thread is closed but available as a readable historical reference. 
Please start a new thread to share your thoughts.

0 Kudos