Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Windows 8 support in HAXM

vzvezda
Beginner
After upgrading to Windows 8 Preview I noticed that HAXM is not longer work. When trying to install itextra_intel_haxm-windows_r02 I receive error like "This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed." Not a critical issue as I still can use emulator without HAXM, just asking.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello

The error you are experiencing is mainly because of the reasons below

• Your processor does not have Intel Virtualisation Technology VT-x support.
  • You might have not enabled the Intel Virtualisation Technology VT-x in your system BIOS setup utility.
  • You might not have the feature or might not have enabled the Intel Execute Disable(XD) Bit in the system BIOS setup utility
  • If you were using the HAXM on the same processor on Windows earlier OS then it states that you have not installed the motherboard's drivers for the Windows 8 Release Preview OS.
To enable the above two mentioned features, you may enter the BIOS utility setup by pressing the F2(different key for various manufacturer, for appropriate keys you may refer to your manufacurer) on the boot screen, change the "disabled" tag to "enabled" by using the keys facilitated to do the operation.After you enable them you need to save the settings by the key facilitated to do so.
The above two features are highlighted as Intel Virtualisation Technology VT-x,VT-d and Intel Execution Disable (XD) bit.

The system requirements for the Intel HAXM states that it requires an Intel processor with support for VT-x,EM64T, and the Execute Disable (XD) Bit functionality.
If you would like to check that your processor possesses these two features or not you may checkyour processor on the Intel website with your processor's model number.
If at the end your processor has the Intel Virtualisation Technology(VT-x) and the Execution Disable (XD) Bit and you have used Intel HAXM on the Windows earlier OS versions then you have to wait for the Windows 8 Release Preview version's support by Intel HAXM, as you can see that the Supported OS does not include Windows 8 Release Preview.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...If you would like to check that your processor possesses these two features or not you may checkyour processor on the Intel website with your processor's model number...

I always usehttp://ark.intel.com/to verify aCPU features.

0 Kudos
vzvezda
Beginner
Thanks you for response. I suspect that it is Windows 8 issue because I had it worked in Windows 7 before I upgraded my OS. I tried to re-install the HAXM and installation suddenly failed saying the VT-x not supported, while it was OK when I had Windows 7.

My CPU seems to support both VT-x and XD, but not VT-d?
I verified that in BIOS I have VT-x and DEP enabled.

I can see that there are Vista/W7 drivers in installation package, but no Windows 8:
DIFxAPI.dll
HaxInst64.exe
intelhaxm.inf.vista_64
intelhaxm.inf.win7_64
intelhaxm.sys.vista_64
intelhaxm.sys.win7_64
intelhaxm_x86.cat.vista_64
intelhaxm_x86.cat.win7_64

Running installer with more logging "msiexec /i hax64.msi /l*v inst.log" does not reveal anything interesting:
MSI (c) (6C:BC) [17:22:31:643]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Users\earl1\AppData\Local\Temp\MSI3054.tmp, Entrypoint: CheckProc
MSI (c) (6C!98) [17:22:31:659]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ERRORMESSAGETITLE property. Its current value is 'Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager Setup'. Its new value: 'VT not supported'.
This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.
MSI (c) (6C!98) [17:22:34:964]: Product: Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager -- This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.
MSI (c) (6C!98) [17:22:34:964]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ERRORMESSAGETITLE property. Its current value is 'VT not supported'. Its new value: 'Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager Setup'.
CustomAction CheckProc returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 17:22:34: CheckProc. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (6C:5C) [17:22:34:964]: Doing action: FatalError

So I am going to wait the Windows 8 support as you suggested.
0 Kudos
Sam4
Beginner
Can confirm on a system with a supported CPU (http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz), HAXM (which worked on same PC running Windows 7), now on Windows 8; installer insists the processor is not compatible with no way to proceed.
0 Kudos
Hernan_A_Intel
Employee
Hi! For now HAXM is tested to work on Windows 7 (32/64 bit), Windows Vista (32/64-bit), and Windows XP (32 bit). The platforms supported today are listed on the HAXM home page http://intel.ly/IYz5vt
0 Kudos
Nick4
Beginner
Hello, Would you be able to provide a timeline for when a release for Windows 8 would be available? Many thanks.
0 Kudos
Meir_P_
Beginner
Same problem here. Dell XPS 15 - L502X laptop running Win8 RTM 64 bit - virtualization is enabled in bios coreinfo.exe output: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel HYPERVISOR * Hypervisor is present VMX - Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization EPT - Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT) Can the problem somehow be related to having Hyper-V enabled (I must use it for Windows Phone emulator)? Thanks
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Can the problem somehow be related to having Hyper-V enabled ( I must use it for Windows Phone emulator )? It is not clear but you could try to Disable it to verify if it helps to resolve the problem.
0 Kudos
Zhihao_Y_1
Beginner
I think it is related to enabling Hyper-V. HAXM works for me on Windows 8 after disabling Hyper-V function.
0 Kudos
Oliver_M_
Beginner

Hyper-V takes over all virtualization - Haxm will not work - even disabling the services of hyper-v does not help :(

0 Kudos
Tony_G_1
Beginner

According to this site: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/82/windows-8-how-to-install-intel-haxm-after-installing-hyper-v ; ; the issue is haxm is conflicting with the HyperV.

I followed the instructions, ran msconfig, and set the new config as my default and then I could install.  The Android emulator claims it's working, though it feels slower than it used to. Haven't had a chance to try without to make sure it's actually working.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_helmi_b_
Beginner

unfortunately Hyper v will stop all virtualisation

0 Kudos