Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Workaround for XDK Update Troubles

PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We released version 3641 of the Intel XDK on October 19, 2016. This release is a "hotfix" to address the installation and update problems that appeared as part of the 3619 release. There are no differences to the installed product (when compared to 3619), only differences in the installer.

Please see this Apple article > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201760 < if you do not know what the "administrator" password is for your Mac.

If you see the following dialog when attempting an installation of 3641 on a Mac, select the "ignore" option and the installation will continue normally.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 2.44.12 PM.png

---- original post ----

Some Windows and Mac users are experiencing problems with the auto-update to Intel XDK version 3619. In the case of Windows users you may be getting a "cannot extract package" and "failed to unzip the package" error message. In the case of Mac users the actual update never starts.

One workaround is:

• close the Intel XDK
  • download the installer directly from http://xdk.intel.com (download may fail with IE)
  • run the installer you downloaded
  • for Mac users > double-click the "Intel XDK.app" icon inside the DMG file
  • for Mac users > if you see a "repair" dialog, perform the repair
  • exit the installer (or repair installation)
  • start the XDK

For Windows system, this post may also help > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/699498. Here is the error message you are likely to see with a failed Windows auto-update after restarting the Intel XDK:

2016-10-11_19-36-32 xdk problem.png

On a Mac you may have to first uninstall the existing XDK app from your /Applications folder before installing from the download. Here is an example of the dialog you might see on a Mac if your attempt to auto-update failed and you have downloaded the installer directly from http://xdk.intel.com:

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 10.58.02 AM.png

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

To fix, I needed to remove and reinstall. Only repair does not work.

0 Kudos
FGold
New Contributor II

I had the issue on a Windows 7 system as stated previously, and was able to rectify the problem by downloading from: http://xdk.intel.com,

uninstalling (XDK) and re-installing (XDK).

All appears fine now. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Paul_J_1
Beginner

The downloaded installer for Windows did not work when using IE 11 to download. The saved file had no extension. Opening the file without saving caused Windows to prompt for a program to open the file.

Downloading with Chrome worked fine.

0 Kudos
Muhammad_Y_Efendi

Thanks for the update for this issue.

As we had the issue also with previous update, need to be careful for the next update.

0 Kudos
Ad
New Contributor III

I'm getting on my machine (Windows 10 Pro x64) the message:

Cannot run package: Invalid package
There is no 'package.json' in the package, please make sure the 'package.json' is in the root of the package.

P.S. Like  Hamilton Tenório da Silva wrote: Only repair does not work. I needed to remove and reinstall. .

P.P.S. Are you serious: Debug Tab [DEPRECATED]???? The suggested workaround, using the Remote Chrome DevTools, is not a real option because it's VERY time consuming: you have to build and install the app on you device before you can start debugging! Is the next step removing the Build Tab and strip down the XDK to a simple editor only? I think we have to look for alternatives in the near future. We have spend so much time and input to make XDK more stable and improve it like is (or better was) now, and this is what 'the community' get..... (sorry but I'm a little bit disappointed and frustrated now)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Ad wrote:

P.P.S. Are you serious: Debug Tab [DEPRECATED]???? The suggested workaround, using the Remote Chrome DevTools, is not a real option because it's VERY time consuming: you have to build and install the app on you device before you can start debugging! Is the next step removing the Build Tab and strip down the XDK to a simple editor only? I think we have to look for alternatives in the near future. We have spend so much time and input to make XDK more stable and improve it like is (or better was) now, and this is what 'the community' get..... (sorry but I'm a little bit disappointed and frustrated now)

Watch from about 19:30 in this video > https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/using-the-test-tab < for help in how to debug using a built app (it's using weinre, but the same concepts apply) in a way that allows you to make changes to code without having to rebuild. This technique does not work for all code changes, but is very useful for many.

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

I almost didn't install because the installer asked for my admin password. I'm used to the OS's User Access Control asking for a password. But this password ask seemed to come from the installer itself.

Was this request from the installer? What type of assurances do we have with regards to whether the intel installer keeps the password around?

XDK version _PKG_VER_ (???!!)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Yes, the request was from the installer and we do not keep any passwords. Best proof of that is in the certificate management system -- we've had several people tell us they've forgotten the password for their build certificates and have asked us to provide them with the password. We are not able to get them the password because we do not keep it!

We take your privacy and security very seriously, many of the changes we have made in the past year have been specifically to address security and privacy issues.

I will let the install team know that the way they are requesting the admin password is inconsistent with standard practice on the Mac platform and should be changed to be consistent.

0 Kudos
Ad
New Contributor III

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Quote:

Ad wrote:

Watch from about 19:30 in this video > https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/using-the-test-tab < for help in how to debug using a built app (it's using weinre, but the same concepts apply) in a way that allows you to make changes to code without having to rebuild. This technique does not work for all code changes, but is very useful for many.

Paul, thanks for the workaround, it's not like the Debug Tab but sometimes this option can be handy.
Do you have more information about the Build system, will it be removed in the (near) future or will the XDK 'always' support Android and iOS builds?
Thanks, Ad

0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

Debug Tab and Framework7 [DEPRECATED]: I am very sad about this decision....

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Ad wrote:

Do you have more information about the Build system, will it be removed in the (near) future or will the XDK 'always' support Android and iOS builds?

Hamilton Tenório da Silva wrote:

Debug Tab and Framework7 [DEPRECATED]: I am very sad about this decision....

Sorry, but we are not allowed to publish roadmaps and schedules or comment on future product features in public locations. It is against company policy.

FYI, from the various feature deprecation notices:

This feature is being retired because, as previously announced and noted in the release notes, future editions of the Intel XDK will focus on the development of IoT (Internet of Things) apps and IoT mobile companion apps. Since we introduced the Intel XDK IoT Edition in September of 2014, the need for accessible IoT app development tools has increased dramatically. At the same time, HTML5 mobile app development tools have matured significantly. Given the maturity of the free open-source HTML5 mobile app development tools, we feel you are best served by using those tools directly.

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

Dear Paul,

Based on the last quote,does it mean Intel XDK will not support hybrid mobile apps(non-IoT apps) in the nearest future?

Secondly, I had to install a fresh version of the XDK before it worked. The update failed.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Michael -- the statement "future editions of the Intel XDK will focus on the development of IoT (Internet of Things) apps and IoT mobile companion apps" means that we are focusing our efforts on supporting IoT applications (apps that run on IoT devices) and mobile companion applications (apps that run on mobile devices and can interact with IoT devices and or IoT cloud services). We currently have several sample hybrid mobile apps that are called "companion" apps, in the collection of samples.

0 Kudos
Rui_C_
Beginner

Remove and reinstall on oct, 12th didn´'t work around.

It worked on oct, 15th, but old projects don´t appear any more. Where are they? Is there a way for recovering them?

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Rui -- your projects are stored in folders on your hard drive. Search for *.xdk files and you'll find them. There is a <project-name>.xdk and <project-name>.xdke file in each project folder (where <project-name> represents the name of the project).

On Windows you can find these files by doing something like this:

> cd \
> dir /s *.xdk

On a Linux or Mac box you can do something like this:

$ find / -name *.xdk

Once you locate your project folders, you can use the green button at the bottom left of the Projects tab to open each <project-name>.xdk file you found (one at a time).

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 11.13.23 AM.png

0 Kudos
madson_g_
Beginner

Every update is the same thing. "Do you want to update now?", "Yes!", "Update failed". Try to download it again from the website and the download works for 1 minute then it stops and never starts again. So you repeat the download 32 times until a miracle happens. This time we have a new problem then: the software never starts. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Madson --

Please report if you are able to open the XDK following that procedure.

Do not modify the install location.

0 Kudos
Jayaram_K_
Beginner

I got the same complaint about the xdk-wrapper. I tried to work around the Developer directories and that did not help. Finally downloaded the latest and while running it, I chose repair the installation option.  

That got it working again.

0 Kudos
madson_g_
Beginner

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Madson --

Please report if you are able to open the XDK following that procedure.

Do not modify the install location.

I installed an older version 3400 and noticed the right path. So when I finally could download de new version from the website I noticed the installation is adding another xdk folder, what is unecessary. I moved all the content from the third xdk folder to one level up, keeping just two xdk folders and deleted the now empty one. So it worked (windows 10).

0 Kudos
Bilal_A_
Beginner

I have just downloaded the XDK. It is asking for administrator password. how do i get this?

0 Kudos