Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Wrapper to Win API's using 64-bit ints...

dpbozarth
Beginner
Anybody have wrappers to access/set the LARGE_INTEGER structures now being used in Win32 API for things such as WaitableTimer? Is the LONGLONG return from int32x32To64 compatible with the LARGE_INTEGER structure? This is a real pain to deal with generically....

Steve, if you see this, what's the chances of getting 64-bit ints on Intel platform in our lifetime (and my coding lifetime is hopefully getting short) :-)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Duane,

The chances are very good indeed. You should have it well before the end of this year.

Steve
0 Kudos
dpbozarth
Beginner
That sounds good....what can we in the meantime? Can I create a union of a BYTE array 8 long with the Long_Integer TYPE for result of Int32x32To64?

And, I guess there's chance of getting the forum s-ware fixed to have newsgroup format? It took me nearly 5 minutes to get here w/slow dialup line and redirection from message to login page to reply. :-( It's why don't use it much.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is a T_LARGE_INTEGER structure in DFWINTY and interfaces using it, such as the WaitableTimer routines. I'm not sure what Visual C++ is doing with the LONGLONG type - but I'd guess that it passes the address of a structure as the first argument. Some experiments would be worthwhile.

As for newsgroup access - I have not heard more about this recently.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
LONGLONG is a typedef for __int64, a 64-bit signed integer. The docs for Int32x32To64 that specifically note that the function's return value is a 64-bit value, not a LARGE_INTEGER structure. I read this to imply that if you use a LARGE_INTEGER structure, some bit twiddling may be in order - depending on what you intend on doing with the return value.

Steve, sorry to ask in this thread, but... while there's been no word on newsgroup access, has there been any word on the lifetime of forum messages? What can users expect wrt to this?

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,
can you be more explicit with the timing for 64 bit Integer support? We're about to undertake a major re-vamp of our code to kludge the 64 bit support using structures and functions to then perform basic arithmetic operations etc etc. It would be nice to only change variable declarations.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
ghalibu,

Send me mail - I'd rather not go into detail here. Steve.Lionel@compaq.com

Steve
0 Kudos