Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

XDK plugins installation broken again in v. 1995

Ed_O_
Beginner

Update v1995 has reverted to not installing plugins again - ticked intel plugins are ignored. This bug was fixed in the previous version, please fix it again. I have to deselect all plugins then enable them one at a time, publishing each time to ensure all plugins are finally installed. (90% of my development time is wasted chasing bugs after faulty XDK updates btw). 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Can you try creating a new project and copying your files over to the new project?

I had an app of mine that was acting wonky because a previous build of the XDK left it in a bad state. The fix was to create a new app, copy files over, and then remove the original from the XDK.

0 Kudos
Ed_O_
Beginner

Thanks John but I already have a slow workaround. Copying files to new projects is more problematic anyway, with new ids and profiles required, duplicates in the cloud, undeletable projects, dislocated updates etc. And this is not a corrupt project - it failed with missing plugins in v1878, built fine in v1912, all fixed, then the same untouched project failed with missing intel plugins again in v1995 . This is a bug in v1995 - ticked plugins not included - or I wouldn't need a workaround. Hopefully it can be fixed again next release. 

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

I am confused. So you are saying that any plugin you have selected in the project settings is NOT included in the build?

Does it say it is included or not in the build log displayed on the screen at the end of a build?

Does the plugin work in the build after installing on device?

I am not able to replicate this fyi.

0 Kudos
Ed_O_
Beginner

To clarify, intel plugins are ticked in the interface but they are not included in the build - they are not listed in the build log and features relying on those plugins do not work. This is v1995 showing the same behavior as v1878 - ticked plugins are set 'excluded' in the project.xdk file. v1912 seemed fixed but I'm not sure now. This is what I see now with a project that failed in v1878,  built in v1912 and failed again in v1995: 

Interface - Projects > Plugins > Intel XDK plugins:
ticked.jpg

project.xdk file...      

{
        "id": "intel.xdk.device",
        "selectedState": "Excluded",
        "data": {},
        "paramvals": {},
        "dependsOn": [],
        "dependedBy": []
      },

{
        "id": "intel.xdk.cache",
        "data": {},
        "paramvals": {},
        "dependsOn": [],
        "dependedBy": []
      },

Simply put, the interface does not match the project.xdk file (or the file doesn't match the interface) so plugins are excluded in error. Looks like two related issues a) plugins are set excluded in project.xdk file in error, with no user action, and b) settings in the project.xdk file are not correct in the interface. 

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Is this with a new project or a project that was corrupted by 1878?

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Also, are you uploading the files after you make changes?

0 Kudos
Ed_O_
Beginner

This is a project that was corrupted in v1878 and published correctly in v1912. It was broke in v1878, fixed in v1912, and broke again in v1995. 

I upload before every build.

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

You posted the contents of your .xdk file, which included

This should not be there (that doesnt mean just delete it and it will work). It should either be included or the whole section for that plugin should not be there.

Have you tried creating a new app and test that?

0 Kudos
Ed_O_
Beginner

Hi John, thanks for your help...

>"selectedState": "Excluded" ... This should not be there
I know. I posted it here so you could see the bug in v1995. That line is added by an earlier faulty XDK version, but those lines are not removed from the project.xdk by v1995, which then shows "Excluded" plugins as ticked - this is a bug in v1995

Have you tried creating a new app
New projects are fine, but I cant rely on the XDK to publish old projects reliably. I'd rather not apply a manual workaround to all my old projects, I'd rather the XDK were fixed. To be as clear as I can, the bug is:

Where "selectedState": "Excluded" appears in an project.xdk file those plugins are ticked in the interface. 

The 'fix'  so far has unticked plugins removed from the project.xdk file altogether. This works if plugins are manually reset, it doesn't fix the bug. To fix the bug permanently you could change 'Excluded' to 'Included' in project.xdk files - those plugins are ticked in the interface - so the project.xdk file would honor the interface and ticked plugins would be installed. Corrupt project.xdk files would be fixed going forward with no manual workaround.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

I can confirm an issue with Plugins that was happening on a previous version. In a reply from John H (Intel) 04/14/15 he said, and I quote, The plugin folder being created when you check plugins is  BUG. It should not create the folder.

I can confirm that checking and unchecking Plugins now creates the plugin folder again and copies the plugins in to sub folders under the plugins folder. 

I am also getting issues with Plugins not being included in builds that previously worked under 1912.

It appears the BUG has resurfaced.

0 Kudos
Ed_O_
Beginner

I haven't been monitoring the project plugins folder. 

In v1995, when I have these plugins ticked and they are correctly set as 'Included' in a project.xdk file....

intel.xdk.device
intel.xdk.cache
com.intel.security
org.apache.cordova.device
org.apache.cordova.splashscreen

...and I remove the project's plugins folder, when I click Emulate the plugins folder is recreated with:

com.intel.security
org.apache.cordova.device
org.apache.cordova.splashscreen

...but these are not included:

intel.xdk.device
intel.xdk.cache

However, all correct plugins are included in the build:

Plugin "com.intel.xdk.device" (1.0.7) installed.
Plugin "com.intel.xdk.cache" (1.0.0) installed.
Plugin "com.intel.security" (1.1.0) installed.
Plugin "org.apache.cordova.device" (0.2.5) installed.
Plugin "org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" (0.2.5) installed.

So, as far as I can tell the plugins folder does not affect the build. What matters is whether plugins ticked in the interface (those I want installed) are set as 'included' in the project.xdk file. This is the bug causing me the problems. I can't trust the XDK to build what I have set in the interface because plugins I have ticked sometimes say 'Excluded' in the project.xdk file.

The issue of the plugins folder being set up when I click 'Emulate' is, I think, a separate matter. It doesn't cause me headaches anyway, incomplete or not, as it doesn't seem to effect what plugins are included in the build.

0 Kudos
Hans_W_Intel
Employee

Ed 0.

You are correct that in old projects created with an older version where the .xdk file includes plugins with the "selectedState": "Excluded" may still have the pluign ticked as included in the Intel XDK UI,   That was the bug in that particular build of the Intel XDK.  I understand what you are asking for, unfortunately that is not available and the only work around for you at this time is to un-select, and reselect those plugins.   That will cause the plugin entry to be removed from the .xdk file and then put back in with "selectedState": "Included".   

You will not see this change to the .xdk file until you "upload" the changes by either selecting Push Files on the Test tab, or Upload Project on the build tab.   If you simply take the bad file and try to build without unselect/reselect of the plugin and then don't select Upload Project on the Build tab, you will not see a change from the error in the previous build as the .xdk file will not have been correctly updated.   

Sorry for the inconvenience, but once you do the above steps your .xdk file should be back in sync with the Intel XDK and your builds should work properly. 

0 Kudos
Ed_O_
Beginner

Hi Hans, thanks for your reply. I will work around the issue, but just to be clear, projects created with an older version - where the .xdk file includes plugins with the "selectedState": "Excluded" - do have those plugins ticked in the UI in v1995. That's a bug in v1995 that should be fixed to ensure items set 'Excluded' are unticked or items ticked are set 'Included'. That the bug must be worked around rather than fixed is unfortunate. Anyway, thanks for your help and keep up the good work. XDK rocks.

0 Kudos