Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Xeon PHI 31S1P

Perri__Pierpaolo
Beginner

Hi all guys,can anyone suggest me an active cooler for a Xeon 31S1P1?Is it worth to buy the heat sink of the 3120A,and is it possibile to buy it from Intel?Thank you so much...

0 Kudos
92 Replies
Dake_F_
Beginner

Thanks Jim. Actually my design is actually a copy of yours. Without your example it would take me a lot more times of failure to make it work.

At beginning I was totally unaware that the card needs cooling, I thought it says passive cooling means it passively cool itself. Therefore after I got one very cheap, I put it in my workstation and just powered it up like that.

Guess what happened, every time when I was trying to start the xeon phi device, it simply blue screen my windows 2012R2, with the error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124). Detail code points to PCI-E devices. I almost suspected the seller had sold me a broken one, and I cannot return it since it was that cheap and said the transaction is final.

Well then after fails so many time I wanted to remove the card to have a look. Then I felt it burning my fingers, really really hot. I searched google and find this post and your solution. I crossed my fingers that I hadn't toasted the card. 

Thanks god it is still alive.

0 Kudos
kecoro
Beginner

excusme.. sory, come listen and learn with this discussion

0 Kudos
Perri__Pierpaolo
Beginner

Hi Dake,I agree with you , the suggestions of Mr. Dempsey were very precious also for me!However in your photo I notice that you mount the fan so that it exhausts the air away from the card. On the contrary,as you can see from this photo,in my solution the fan pushes air into the card . I'm curious,did you test the card with some heavy workloads and what about temperatures?

0 Kudos
Andre_L_
Beginner

As it might interest those visiting this thread, there is now a vendor offering water blocks for the Xeon Phi.

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p1561_Alphacool-NexXxoS-GPX---Intel-Xeon-PHI-31xx-51xx-71xx-Serie-M01---incl--backplate---black.html

Have not tried this myself, but it does look promising.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Perri__Pierpaolo
Beginner

Thanks Andre,very interesting news,but I don't understand if it's only the water block with no pump and fans or it is a part of an AIO solution...

0 Kudos
Andre_L_
Beginner

Cheers Pierpaolo.

I understand the Alphacool product is just the waterblock (including rear faceplate). They do seem to carry all the other components for water cooling solutions -separately-, so one can design a single system/circuit to fit the exact requirements (such as multi Xeon Phi configurations, using the larger radiators, and so on).

I would have preferred an AIO solution myself, but if I eventually get around to trying this, I'll ask them to supply a complete kit (adding all the other components to make a full system and assuming a thermal ceiling at around 300W).

Pierpaolo wrote:

Thanks Andre,very interesting news,but I don't understand if it's only the water block with no pump and fans or it is a part of an AIO solution...

0 Kudos
hlide_f_
Beginner

Hi Andre,

any progress regarding with asking them to supply a complete kit? I was attempted to get their faceplates and add an AIO solution by removing the original waterblock and put the one of the AIO solution but after seeing a video unmounting the Alphacool product, I deem it unpractical without skills to make an adaptor yourself.

Regards. 

Andre L. wrote:

Cheers Pierpaolo.

I understand the Alphacool product is just the waterblock (including rear faceplate). They do seem to carry all the other components for water cooling solutions -separately-, so one can design a single system/circuit to fit the exact requirements (such as multi Xeon Phi configurations, using the larger radiators, and so on).

I would have preferred an AIO solution myself, but if I eventually get around to trying this, I'll ask them to supply a complete kit (adding all the other components to make a full system and assuming a thermal ceiling at around 300W).

Quote:

Pierpaolo wrote:

0 Kudos
phil_d_2
Beginner

Hi All,

There has been some progress on the 3D printing of fan-ducts for the 31SP. 

A new one I am having printed is an <a href="http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1697179">80mm fan design</a>, based upon the previous 2x40mm design.

I shall post photos when I have confirmation it cools sufficiently.

Cheers P.

0 Kudos
Etienne_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I did test two month ago a kind of "reductor duct" like those shown in that thread, with a high pressure 120mm fan, and the result was OK regarding temperature, but not compact at all, and very noisy. It seems that forcing a high pressure fan flow in a reductor does cause lots of noise.

I did a new design this month in a smaller case, with much less space, and tried a radial fan such as this one.

I printed the duct in 3D and it seems to be working very well.

Assembled card:

DSC_0669.JPG

3D printed duct:

DSC_0670.JPG

3D printing model:

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/xeonphi5_v8-3/zcH85W2m?uuid=1BfUaNuQHGKDdjuY1vQzKh

Cheers!

0 Kudos